Buying More Ram Questions?

Drain You

In Runtime
Ok so I have 2x512mb Corsair XMS2 ddr2 800 ram right now and im looking to get another 1gb. Im leaning towards getting a 1gb stick instead of 2x512 again because it will leave room to upgrade if there comes a time when we need more than 2gb that is. So my question is do i need ram with the same timings? Also I overclocked my CPU and I dont know if that needs to be taken into consideration

Thanks for all the help.

For the best performance and compatibility, it would be best to get memory with the same timings. Why not get another stick of Corsair XMS2 to match your current memory?

thats what I'll prolly end up doing, but I was just trying ti see if I could save some cash and buy some cheaper ram.

It would probably be best to get the 2 x 512 sticks. I don't think you'll need more than 2 gigs anytime soon.

there right having an odd number of ram sticks bottlenecks you overclock since one stick of ram is not running in dual channel. but it WILL work and you dont need the same timings. having your CPU overclocked will not affect anything unless you have your RAM overclocked too. if you do have your current ram overclocked then your new ram will have to run at the same speed. but since you can up the timings overclocking the ram shouldnt be a problem.

Drain You said:
thats what I'll prolly end up doing, but I was just trying ti see if I could save some cash and buy some cheaper ram.
i would try and get the same brand of ram as getting cheaper ram can make your system perform poorly

Back
Top Bottom