Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-25-2010, 03:34 PM   #11
Golden Master

Default Re: Buying a laptop~ Please give suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacavali View Post
Yes that is what I'm trying to get at. In terms of the average user if you have a Mac and a PC with comparable hardware, they will perform very similar.

I can't give you a side by side comparision because I've never been willing to pay for a MAC when a PC will do everything I need.
So you've never used a Mac, yet you type like you have and you're offering advice about a MacBook Pro?

Just shows how people make a judgment without even trying the aforementioned product.

Quote:
So basically people buy MacBooks either because they've used Macs all their life, or simply because it looks stylish?
Quote:
No performance advantages at all? I was looking more for a comparison between Mac and Windows from people who are familiar with both, example, comparing compatibility, comparing iWork versus MS Office, Safari versus Chrome/Firefox, performance of stuff like Photoshop on OSX and Windows, etc.
I consider Mac OS 10 a different animal altogether. You need to head over to an Apple store to see for yourself whether or not you'll get accustomed to it.

As for specifications - you need to look at it from a different angle. Specifications aren't everything. The real importance is how it's used. It may not include every feature desirable to man, but the features it does includes - it typically excels in.

Build quality is also excellent. Much more durable than the previous generations. It just feels solid all around. I'd doubt you get that from most consumer notebooks.

Send comments, suggestions and criticisms.
↳ 01001010listens@gmail.com
01001010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:43 PM   #12
Daemon Poster

On a different note, if you do want to stay windows I suggest you look at the sony's vaio lineup, in your case check out the E series (core i5 and i3 with different configurations available) Not sure if they offer SSDs but if you really wanted one you could always just buy one and put it in yourself. E series is stylish and moderately priced, not huge, 15.5" screen and within your budget.

ACES WILD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:08 PM   #13
Guru

MY recommendation is HP. When I was looking for my laptop (and I ended up purchasing a Lenovo, which is also excellent, but geared toward a more professional use than just your everyday computer) HP had a very appealing line-up. The HP Pavillions were priced very well for the hardware they offered. The only issue with buying an HP is that they LOAD you with crapware.
JogaBonito1502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:10 PM   #14
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to eslfish Send a message via MSN to eslfish Send a message via Yahoo to eslfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JogaBonito1502 View Post
The MacBook Pro is expensive because it comes preloaded with some of Apple's best software.
Yup. There's no other way to put it, it's Apple
Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate
eslfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:02 PM   #15
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslfish View Post
Yup. There's no other way to put it, it's Apple
It's more expensive than your average notebook because it includes features that are otherwise left as options with other vendors. It's also not geared towards budget users like Dell and HP's more mainstream lineup.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:45 AM   #16
Fully Optimized

I never said I've used a MAC and never gave any advice one way or the other. I simply answered his question about why MAC's cost more. To the AVERAGE user, who will be web-browsing/word processing they will basically be the same. That's all I'm saying.
jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:19 PM   #17
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacavali View Post
I simply answered his question about why MAC's cost more. To the AVERAGE user, who will be web-browsing/word processing they will basically be the same. That's all I'm saying.
How do you know if you've never used one?

Old 07-07-2010, 12:26 PM   #18
Solid State Member

Thanks for replies.
I will hold off on macbooks for now. Checking suggestions given right now~
How about Thinkpad laptops? Some friends said it's a top quality brand with reasonable prices. What do you guys think? I was looking at either i3 or i5... and the fingerprint feature seems so neat for a luxury.
Xiaozhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:39 PM   #19
Golden Master

You're going to need to spend money in order to get a proper ThinkPad from Lenovo. Their lineup has become too saturated with low cost alternatives that bear the ThinkPad name.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:31 PM   #20
Solid State Member

I have always hated apple but i will only tell you what i like about them. First I would never buy their desktop, if they are good at anything its making shit portable. I believe their laptops are way overpriced but at the same time, I would never build my own laptop and as far as laptops go macs are nice. This is because I wouldnt be using a laptop to play games and would just stick to word processing and internet searches. Macs have perfected the art behind the two finger scroll and three finger page down, pinch to zoom and shit like that where windows at least has it now but is very jumpy and annoying. A friend of mine with a mac put it nicely, I bought a mac because it was shiny. In terms of straight performance macs are probably about the same, but in terms of physical and software sleekness, macs are better. I personally wouldnt say it makes it worth it though, i would deal with the annoying windows copy of 2 finger scroll and shit like that.

Crimsoneye is offline   Reply With Quote