Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 02-18-2013, 03:38 PM   #11
Baseband Member

Default Re: Buying a laptop for my trip

Now that"s nice. Wanna buy one for me while you're at it?

cstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:44 PM   #12
BSOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderline_Creation View Post
ty for the help guys but i think i just found my laptop. lenovo IdeaPad G780 (59352497) Notebook Intel Core i7 3632QM(2.20GHz) 17.3" 6GB Memory DDR3 1600 750GB HDD 5400rpm DVD±R/RW NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M - Newegg.com take a look at that price. with 8GB of RAM and a SSD, this should be the best laptop for the price range.
One, graphics are not very great. Two, The hard drive is very slow. Three,it's a lenovo, thus it is so cheap.

Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:51 PM   #13
BSOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstep View Post
What? Was it something I said?
Yes it was...
Old 02-18-2013, 03:55 PM   #14
Baseband Member

Buyer says he is putting a SSD in and upgrading the ram. Everything I read about the graphics card is pretty positive:
NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M - NotebookCheck.net Tech

And Lenovo is still in the top 5 most purchased computers. Not exactly surewhat place but know in the top 5

---------- Post added at 04:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life View Post
Yes it was...
What??? Spit it out....
Old 02-18-2013, 04:04 PM   #15
BSOD

Quote:
Buyer says he is putting a SSD in and upgrading the ram. Everything I read about the graphics card is pretty positive:
NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M - NotebookCheck.net Tech

And Lenovo is still in the top 5 most purchased computers. Not exactly surewhat place but know in the top 5

---------- Post added at 04:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 PM ----------

What??? Spit it out....
Doesn't matter what is in the top most purchase'd list, the out come is what matters. Why do you think they are always on sale? Why do you think they are always in stock? Why is it rare to find with with a 5 start review, Why is it hard to find them with many 4 star reviews. Now, Acer, may not be in the top 5 purchased list, but almost everyone who has had one, was very happy with it. They always have great reviews with a total of 4 stars, almost with no exception. And when I say not a great card, I mean that not by review, but by performance. For a gaming laptop, the card is not very good. No offense, but you obviously don't know what your are talking about, because if you did, you wouldn't have come up with a top 5 purchase list. I do computers, that is my thing, I am not stupid, I do my research, I do not go looking, oh that one was purchased more, so it is better. I say, oh, it was purchased more, and I look why, oh guess what, it was cheap, and has worse reviews. Get my point? Telling someone who deals with computers all the time, and has family who know tons of it, and is then saying he is wrong with most purchased charts is really insulting.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:09 PM   #16
Baseband Member

Not trying to insult you, not my intent at all. i guess it is a good point that the reaso0n it is purchased often is because of price. But lots of people with lenovo's are happy. I had an Acer, and it seems like unless you buy an expensive one, like really expensive, they all suck.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:12 PM   #17
BSOD

Quote:
Not trying to insult you, not my intent at all. i guess it is a good point that the reaso0n it is purchased often is because of price. But lots of people with lenovo's are happy. I had an Acer, and it seems like unless you buy an expensive one, like really expensive, they all suck.
You didn't like it? my family has had at least 5 or so over a few years and we all loved em. P.s, they were all under $500.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:16 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
I have had my Acer for about 4 years now, only a cheap one, haven't had a problem with it at all. Just because you have had 1 and had a bad experience with it, does not mean all Acers suck mate....
Piss off George Monks = gmcrepair? YES, YES it was.
Yeah he likes to boost his count.
T-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:23 PM   #19
Solid State Member

I appreciate the responses but I "do computers" as well. And i didn't see much during my research supporting the claim that lenovos in general are of poor quality. I did find that Thinkpads are a more reliable choice than ideapads but there is no 17" thinkpad with decent graphics around this price point. I personally have had problems with two different Acer laptops in the past, but like any other computer manufacturer, there are always laptops that are of poor quality. the slow hard drive is not an issue. And the graphics card is one of the best in this price range. between 650-800, finding a computer with a better dedicated gpu seems to sacrifice cpu speed in almost all cases.

the computer will always be on a zalman laptop cooler while gaming, and i will eventually replace the thermal compound if it seems to be running too hot because i know it's helped me in the past.
Borderline_Creation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #20
Baseband Member

it was too flimsy. The hinge between the screen and keyboard were terribly made. if you carried it under your arm and held the large area between the two hinges, it made the screen bow in. I always felt like I was going to crack the screen. I finally did, but I had warranty so I bought an HP, and I haven't looked back since.

---------- Post added at 05:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:24 PM ----------

also it ran a slow as molasses amd processor.