Buying a CPU Cooler

To determine the maximum height a CPU heat sink can be, I would measure from the surface of the CPU that the heat sink contacts to the side cover of the case. Then subract about a 1/4" for clearance.

I'm using a xigmatek dark night CPU heat sink for my Intel CPU and it just barely fits in a Cooler Master Elite 335 case. Here is a photograph with the cover off.

Dark_Knight-1.jpg

Cables_upper.jpg

That's a sweet setup!

Thank you!

Not meaning to hijack the thread or anything, but are noctua fans worth it if you're on a bit of a tight budget? Also, Do you think either of these heatsinks would be better then the one you suggested?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103046

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608003

I only have one other system fan, an 80 mm rear fan, that the noctua would blow right into. I don't know if that would affect cooling or not =/

hay i was just eye-balling a ruler and mm is on the other side of the ruler from the inch side
so i wasnt that far off

I know, my point is that the HSF must have some clearance. My Cool Master 335 case side cover (the one in the pictures above) only clears the HSF by about a 1/16" of an inch. So a 1/4" may be excessive, but it leaves room for error.

Not meaning to hijack the thread or anything, but are noctua fans worth it if you're on a bit of a tight budget?

If you are on a tight budget, I would recommend a cheaper fan. I really like noctua fans because they are quiet, especially in 120mm. In order for them to work quietly, and to develop the CFM potential, you should really cut a hole in the metal case and use a wire guard.

Honestly, in my opinion, any of these heat sinks should work fine. I do believe that the dark night may have a little bit of an edge over the two you posted links to, but I would have to test them to be absolutely sure.

I only have one other system fan, an 80 mm rear fan, that the noctua would blow right into. I don't know if that would affect cooling or not =/

If your only exhaust fan besides the power supply is an 80mm, you might be better off adding a blow hole on the top, rather than getting a noctua fan. Of course, replacing your CPU HSF may help if you CPU is not running very cool.

I can tell you, from personal experience, the ThermalTake 775D using a flow-cone from an 80mm kept my Q66 G0 at ~28 idle and never above 40 when gaming. The ZEROTherm CF series uses the same design which has proven itself to me to work very well. They are also very cheap 30-40 dollars. I would probably recommend the ZEROTherm CF900 most because it is made of all copper (heatfins, base, heatpipes) and has a reportedly good cooling fan.

Well, to be honest, my cpu never goes above 43c under full load. But I wanted to get into OCing. I think I'm actually just going to get a new case though, but thanks for your opinions!

Back
Top Bottom