Buying a basic rig from a friend, Need advice on whether its reasonable

hohenheim

Beta member
My friend is offering to sell me his older computer

Q8300 processor (lga 775)
400 watt psu (oem, needs to be upgraded. I can do that for you)
M-atx mobo, no sli support for dual slot cards, only single slot ones.
DVD read/write, probably 16 or 24x.
8 gigs ddr2 ram at 800 MHz I don't know the timings, buts it's also oem so don't expect anything mind blowing although you wouldn't be able to tell the difference)
Gts 250. One is the BFG one that is to 750 out of the box. The other is the msi twinfrozr one that has very good cooling.
Aluminum ASUS m-atx case. Looks nice but kinda big. I did dremel some holes for the most basic of cable management. Just to help airflow not cosmetic at all

He said about 600 + the cost of a new power supply

Is this reasonable? Would this be easy to expand/upgrade upon to make a powerful rig? Could I run everything on the market as of now? Is this strong enough to run high end games on a good quality?

Are you getting a Monitor with that? Mouse, keyboard etc?

Whats your current rig? (So I can gauge how much of an improvement / reduction in performance you will get from buying this)

Your getting a quad core intel system, probably running at 2.5GHZ, and 8GB's of ddr2 RAM.

You would be able to run a fair amount of the games out at the moment on mid/low settings.. (from the info you have given)

Like above poster said, for 600+ new cpu (Lets say $660 or so). You could probably start a new build of your own, get completely new parts / guarantees on them, the newest type of ram DDR3, and probably a faster CPU. The new system you build wouldnt be majorly out performing his rig, but you would be better off your own price wise.

He isnt majorly overpricing his system either.. work him down a bit :p

Even if it came with a monitor, $600 for that is a ripoff. Don't buy. That system as it stands should only sell for a max of $300.

Back
Top Bottom