To buy a new laptop or clean up the old one?! Help!

Naeverick

Beta member
Hello!
I have a 10 year old laptop that is somewhat slow and laggy. I could do a serious clean up and get some of the files off to help it out but I'm thinking it might be high time to get a new one. I'll put the specs here and maybe a knowledgeable soul can give me some advice. I use it for video streaming and photo editing on Photoshop as well as general internet browsing.

Sony Vaio CR31Z/R
Intel Core2 Duo CPU T8300 @ 2.4GHz
2.0GB RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon X2300
Windows Vista

Cheers guys!

I'm going to suggest you upgrade to a new machine. That computer will do the things you mentioned, but it will not be very fast- especially running Windows Vista.

You could improve it somewhat by upgrading to at least 4GB ram, swap the hard drive for an SSD, and install windows 7 or above. But the money for those upgrades would be put to better use going towards a new laptop.

Get a new one there is very little you can do to revive that computer. If I may make a suggestion a good Asus could do you well maybe a Lenovo y series? What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPad using Computer Forums

The Lenovo Y Series are gaming laptops. For what OP wishes to do doesn't require something that powerful unless he would like to do some gaming. The one I mentioned is ok but doesn't have a dedicated GPU, You'd be wanting a dedicated GPU for photo editing but you won't get a laptop with a good dedicated GPU for under $500. If open can spend another $230 I'd go for this Lenovo which would better suit your needs https://www.amazon.ca/A10-8700P-1-8..._UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=B65QM7ZG6D1HC6FF6YED

It doesn't really need a dedicated GPU. If you've been photo editing on your current laptop then a brand new $500 laptop will be fine (and better). If we were talking heavy photo editing and video rendering etc then I would suggest a laptop greater than $1000, but that doesn't seem to match your need. A new laptop with an i3 and no dedicated GPU should suffice!

Back
Top Bottom