Built-in speaker

Denier-of-Soup

In Runtime
I just did a clean install of XP (currently running SP1), and have had to reinstall the RealTek ac97 sound driver. My speakers started working immediately after the installation was complete, but now I have no control over the built-in speaker. Muting system volume through Volume Control only mutes the external speakers, not the built-in one. I've also made sure that the speakers are plugged into the right port.

Is there a way to mute the built-in speaker?

wot do u mean built in speaker are we talkin bout the bios speaker or a speaker which can play music built into ur case like some dells have??

well u can have a nother built in speaker it depends on wot ur computer is, some of the dell machines which i have setup at my job have built in loud speakers to play music as well as the bios speaker, this is not normal tho normally a computer simply has the bios speaker only which can only makes beaps or siren noises!!

I'm sorry, but you're not helping by going off topic.

cileskot said:
you could try uninstalling the driver for it maybe?

Without the driver, there won't be any sound at all. I'll try it and see what happens, though.

edit: I just stumbled across this page. Maybe the driver I'm using right now isn't the right one.

sorry but i am not going off topic i'm simply trying to gte a little more information from the OP, if he's talking bout muting the bios speaker than he can simply disonnect, thats the easiest solution!!

I've already thought of disconnecting the speaker. I want to keep that as a last resort just in case there are any BIOS beep codes during startup.

rite so the speaker which u cannot disconnect, this is the bios speaker is this the 1 u wud like 2 mute, n can i ask wot sounds it is making??

I'll get right back to answering your questions as soon as I try out the new audio driver I just downloaded.

edit: Yep, it worked. The external speakers are working fine, but the internal one has been muted.

Back
Top Bottom