Built My First

mallagant

Baseband Member
I just finished building my first computer. Woo- go me.
Now I have a few questions :( First, I'll post my specs

amd 3000+ 64
asus k8v se deluxe
512mb kingston pc3200 (DDR 400)
120 gb caviar hd (western digital)
asus cd-rom drive (not sure what model #, got it on newegg.com for 80 bucks)
pny geforce fx5700 le 128 mb
Also had xp corperate ed. when i encountered these problems. Now have service pack two regular xp pro

My onboard lan would not recognize my cable internet. Well...it would if I restarted the modem while the computer was on, but when I would restart the comp. it wouldn't get a new ip until i turn off the modem again. Had massive trouble with the net being slow when it did work also. Precaching for counter-strike took forever, and my download speed was a quarter of norm.

I installed neverwinter nights and it runs kinda slow and crappy. I thought the game would be easy for my computer, but it sucks on it...I'm well above the recommended specs for the game.

Please, help me lol.

Another thing that may help was that when I asked it to detect my settings for NWN it said that memory for video card could not be obtained. Had no clue what this meant. I dl'ed the latest driver for my card when I first got the comp.

Are you sure that your drivers fully support your modem. And are they the latest drivers?

The night before I made the post I reinstalled windows and then redid all of my drivers. I have no more problems out of NWN, but I'm sure the LAN thing still happens. Its like it doesn't want to get a new IP from my cable. I'm trying it on a friend's DSL tonight though. I love NWN btw. Much better now that it knows that its a 128mb card instead of a -1mb card lol.

To reply about the latest drivers for my LAN, I really odn't know if they are. I went to the brand of the onboard stuff's website and it has nothing to offer. I just installed the one that came with the mobo disk.

go to the device manager click on the device then click on the drive tab and then click on update drive.

Alright, I'll do that tonight when I get home, thanks a bunch.

Also, do you guys think that my system is a pretty okay set-up. I picked all of the parts out myself and have really never built before.

What is a good sound card btw. I definatly don't know anything about them. What so ever.

*cough* What is the best processor in the 754 socket line also? I was curious about that, and will my board support it?

Back
Top Bottom