Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-06-2016, 12:34 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Default Built Gaming Machine

I have a gaming computer built from new parts which worked fine for a few days but now I am getting the screen "select device or insert media to boot" or something to that affect. The HD works with my old computer and my SSD does not work with the new computer. Could that still be a HD issue or motherboard issue? Everything seems to be connected tightly. Thanks.

bebbles12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 01:01 PM   #2
In Runtime

Default Re: Built Gaming Machine

Yeah it seems that the boot manager has been corrupted or the hardware abstraction layer is making the drives incompatible with the system. It's more likely the latter. Old hard drives don't always play nicely with new hardware. It's incredibly frustrating. Windows has a built in abstraction layer that makes it so that a hard drive becomes "slaved" to a particular motherboard such that it will not work with other hardware.

I assume its for security purposes but it just ends up being a headache for the 99 percent. It would be much simpler if things like bioses and motherboards were standard template at the boot manager level so you could just swap drives around willy nilly but oh well. I digress.

The solution is to just clean install the OS. Wipe the drive and do a fresh install. That should solve the issue.

jarlmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:00 PM   #3
Baseband Member

The company is sending out a new 2TB HD. Why do you think the new drive played nice with my old computer? Thanks for the quick reply! It drove me crazy half of yesterday.
bebbles12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:59 PM   #4
In Runtime

Sometimes older hardware have less abstraction layers. I don't really know. One of technology's mysteries. Like I said I really hate that aspect of computing. Drives me nuts as well haha
jarlmaster is offline   Reply With Quote