Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Closed Thread
Old 12-01-2004, 03:00 PM   #1
Baseband Member
Default Building an upgradable gaming system.

Hi there all. I am reletively new to the computer world and the gaming world as well. I have around $500-600 canadian dollars to spend on a system (Moniter, keyboard, speakers, mouse etc seperate) and I would like to get components that will be able to run high end games like "HL2" "Doom 3" and "World of warcraft". I know that this isn't even coming NEAR the pricerange for a computer of this sort, but I don't need to start playing these games right away. I would rather wait until they work out the bugs first anyway. For now my games of choice will be "Diablo 2" "Myst 3" and "Counterstrike", and I don't need mega power for those. What I would like to do though is get a motherboard and proccessor that will be quite upgradable, so I can start with a cheaper graphics card, less harddrive(s) memory etc. and keep adding on better parts until I can run "H2" etc like clockwork.

What brand of motherboard is best for gaming and still reletively inexpensive? What about proccessors? I hear a lot of talk about the AMD 64 bit proccessors that run at 2.4 and the intel 32 bit that run at 3.2 or something.

I basically want versatility so that I can add on as I learn. A learn as I go type thing.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks,

Old 02-22-2009, 02:47 AM   #2
Solid State Member
Default Re: Building an upgradable gaming system.

WoW doesnt really require a extreme gaming pc, playing myself for about a year on just 1gb of ram and and 80 gb hard drive and amd athlon 64 processor the mobo processor and graphics card and hard drive have to be compatible with eachother, and what server on diablo 2 do u play, i used to have a 98 hammerdin and a 92 lightsorc

Old 02-22-2009, 06:50 AM   #3
Golden Master

AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 4.0GHz + TU120E lapped - MSI 770-CD45 AM3 - 2x2GB OCZ DDR3 1333MHz - Sapphire HD 4870 - Samsung Spinpoint 500GB 7200RPM 16MB cache HDD - Tagan TG600-BZ Piperock - (Currently open test bed) - Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:32 PM   #4
Golden Master
Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy

This thread is over 4 years old.....I'm sure he has it sorted out.

When all else fails...Ham Radio!

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Closed Thread