Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-29-2009, 11:44 PM   #1
Daemon Poster

Default Building a Secondary Linux box

Looking to spend as little as possible.

The computer will be used strictly for IMing, internet browsing, basic computation.

Basically, I love dual monitors, but I would prefer independent control over my 2nd monitor, so I plan to build a small secondary computer, doesn't need much hard drive space, doesn't need much computing power.

Right now I use my secondary monitor mostly to view firefox so I can see maps and quest help and stuff for AION (MMORPG I play) and so I can watch Windows Messenger for people talking to me on that...

So, that's basically all I need the second computer to do, basic internet use.

I don't need an operating system, I'm going to use Linux (Ubuntu).

Already have a monitor, and I'll be moving this keyboard over to that system when I buy a G15 for my primary rig.

I'm not great at building super-budget rigs so anybody that could help me find cheap parts would be appreciated

Looking for a Dual Core processor so I can get higher clock speeds for lower price than a Quad Core, nothing I will be using it for will utilize 4 cores.

I'm looking at this Intel Celeron E1500 Dual Core its only $50 and should be more than sufficient.

It's in a combo deal with a MOBO for $75 after MIR: here.

Currently looking at:

CASE: Antec 200
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified
CPU: Intel Celeron E1500 Dual Core 2.2GHz
MOBO: ECS G41T-M2(1.0) LGA 775 Intel G41 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
MEMORY: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
HARD DRIVE: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
DISC DRIVE: cheapo disc drive

~$300 total.

If anybody has any cheaper alternatives or recommendations or whatever,

Computear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:51 AM   #2
In Runtime

Default Re: Building a Secondary Linux box

I'd go with the antec 300 for $5 more:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-042-_-Product

ASUS M4A79XTD EVO | 4gb DDR3 GSkill | 550W Corsair power supply | AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Callisto 3.1ghz(Unlocked 2 extra cores) | Sapphire 4870 512mb | 500gb Samsung |21.5" 1080p Hdmi Dell monitor| 21.6" Samsung monitor | RAIDMAX Tornado ATX-238WG | Windows 7 Ultimate Signature Edition
CBrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 01:47 PM   #3
Site Team

Taking a step back here for a moment - what do you mean by independant control over the second monitor? Personally I find my computing experience far better with dual monitors on the same PC set to different desktops than two different PCs altogether - I take it you're using a separate keyboard / mouse on the linux box as well?
berry120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 01:55 PM   #4
Baseband Member

Right now I use my secondary monitor mostly to view firefox so I can see maps and quest help and stuff for AION (MMORPG I play)

FAG
Mantook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:07 PM   #5
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to wmorri

Hi,

Here is my take on linux computers. I wouldn't build a new one if you don't have to. All you are going to be doing is running Firefox on it do a little searching in your town and with your friends. See if any of them have a computer that they don't need. All you need is something that has a 1.5GHz cpu, and about 1gb of ram which you can get cheep if you need to. Also, you will want a 15gb hdd and you are set.

Cheers!

I thought you were a hispanic/african american? Who is the white guy in the pictures?
wmorri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:56 AM   #6
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by berry120 View Post
Taking a step back here for a moment - what do you mean by independant control over the second monitor? Personally I find my computing experience far better with dual monitors on the same PC set to different desktops than two different PCs altogether - I take it you're using a separate keyboard / mouse on the linux box as well?
Yeah by independent control I was referring to seperate input devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmorri View Post
Hi,

Here is my take on linux computers. I wouldn't build a new one if you don't have to. All you are going to be doing is running Firefox on it do a little searching in your town and with your friends. See if any of them have a computer that they don't need. All you need is something that has a 1.5GHz cpu, and about 1gb of ram which you can get cheep if you need to. Also, you will want a 15gb hdd and you are set.

Cheers!
Tried this and came up empty handed.
Computear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:21 PM   #7
Baseband Member

i personally wouldnt go with an ECS mobo. i havent really had any good experience with them. My favorites are Gigabytes and ASUS... if it wont go over budget

WeedCali is offline   Reply With Quote