Building a rig

Yes, you can get an idea. But it's not very smart to go around buying stuff based off those reviews with no other references. You really have to look at multiple professional reviews from reliable sources.

Yeah...prof. reviews definitely pwn any others, but since the newegg reviews are right there, won't hurt to take a look =]

EDIT: Worship, you should put the quad-core no gaming thing in your sig lol. I've seen it at least 5 times...

Yeah...prof. reviews definitely pwn any others, but since the newegg reviews are right there, won't hurt to take a look =]

EDIT: Worship, you should put the quad-core no gaming thing in your sig lol. I've seen it at least 5 times...

I just don't want people to make the same mistake as I did. I realise now that when I built my rig I should have gone with a dual core which would have been cheaper and I would have got equivalent if not better performance. Not forgetting duals are more power efficient.

I just don't want people to make the same mistake as I did. I realise now that when I built my rig I should have gone with a dual core which would have been cheaper and I would have got equivalent if not better performance. Not forgetting duals are more power efficient.

Oo...You know what. That answers the question I was just about to ask you. Why do you have a Q6600 if you're such a big supporter of duo. But you read my mind from a couple thousand km away...

I'm a big supporter of duals for gaming. If the PC is going to be doing lots of video/audio editing and encoding then I would recommend a quad as those are very CPU intensive tasks and quite a few of the programs are multi-threaded.
@ Esa. He says he's going to be doing video. What is that? Playback, editing? Anyway, I said that I'd recommend a quad for video editing.

I'm a big supporter of duals for gaming. If the PC is going to be doing lots of video/audio editing and encoding then I would recommend a quad as those are very CPU intensive tasks and quite a few of the programs are multi-threaded.

Well that's what I meant. That would also explain why my computer crashed after an extensive session on Photoshop...it's only single-core lol.

Most games are not threaded for quad cores and probably won't be for some time yet.

Does this mean that I won't be able to play some games if I use quad core?

Thanks, I am a total noob at this, you guys are awesome

BTW: I'll be using it for both video editing and playback, possibly even Blu-Ray since they won the format war

Does this mean that I won't be able to play some games if I use quad core?

Thanks, I am a total noob at this, you guys are awesome

BTW: I'll be using it for both video editing and playback, possibly even Blu-Ray since they won the format war

No, no, no. You will be able to play games of course. But, what he is saying is, you won't the the full performance out of the quad-core while gaming as you would with the duo-core.

No, no, no. You will be able to play games of course. But, what he is saying is, you won't the the full performance out of the quad-core while gaming as you would with the duo-core.

Oh, so you're saying that the extra two cores will be there, but just not be used? Do you think that makes it worth the extra forty dollars?

Plus, if I get the quad, will i see a performance decrease than if i used the dual?

Also, what about cooling? If I overclock a 3.0 dual to 4.2, should I improve the cooling, to, say, water-cooling?

Sorry for all the questions lol
Thanks

Oh, so you're saying that the extra two cores will be there, but just not be used? Do you think that makes it worth the extra forty dollars?

Plus, if I get the quad, will i see a performance decrease than if i used the dual?

Also, what about cooling? If I overclock a 3.0 dual to 4.2, should I improve the cooling, to, say, water-cooling?

Sorry for all the questions lol
Thanks

Here is getting a little bit out of my knowledge but I will try to answer them.

I don't know how the cores are used. I think worshipme is probably better suited than me to answer that question.

As far as perfomance decrease I'm not sure. By what I have heard there would be a slight decrease in the fps rates?? Again worshipme has more knowledge on this subject.

For cooling - you most likely would need a better cooling than the stock one. Now as far as water cooling, I don't think you need it. Air cooling would work just fine. Plus water cooling is very expensive to buy and maintain.

Back
Top Bottom