building a personal server

epsilon1

Solid State Member
Whats up guys and gals, looks like I'm pushing through and building a home server, i got the parts starting with the case.....and that's it for now :)

I wanted your suggestion, i want a server i can add to as i go (add hard drives) but fairly small. So far I'm not worried to much about the processor as its just a server, RAM, HD and accessibly is what I'm going for. Any suggestion would be appropriated!

Hey,

Can you let us know what you want to use your server for primarily? This will affect the type of build you should do.

ok,

I don't think you need anything too substantial at all.

Personally i would just build a low end regular PC and make sure it has a decent HS&F and a coulpe of other case fans. No need to get actual server components.

Processor - Newegg.com - Intel Core i3-3220 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 55W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500 BX80637i33220

HS & Fan - Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible with Intel 1366/1155/775 and AMD FM1/FM2/AM3+

Motherboard - Newegg.com - ASRock H77 Pro4-M LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM - Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

The rest ie hard drives and optical drives are up to you.
You may want to go for an SSD for the OS and a regular drive for the actual storage.

Please note that this is not a high spec build and the reason for this is to run a server to just use as storage and stream films and music you don't need a high spec machine.

ok,

I don't think you need anything too substantial at all.

Personally i would just build a low end regular PC and make sure it has a decent HS&F and a coulpe of other case fans. No need to get actual server components.

Processor - Newegg.com - Intel Core i3-3220 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 55W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500 BX80637i33220

HS & Fan - Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible with Intel 1366/1155/775 and AMD FM1/FM2/AM3+

Motherboard - Newegg.com - ASRock H77 Pro4-M LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM - Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

The rest ie hard drives and optical drives are up to you.
You may want to go for an SSD for the OS and a regular drive for the actual storage.

Please note that this is not a high spec build and the reason for this is to run a server to just use as storage and stream films and music you don't need a high spec machine.

I would go with 4GB of RAM for a home server. That would be more than enough.

An SSD for the OS would be wasted IMHO.

For storage, get a bunch of 4TB hard drives and RAID 6 them for redundancy.

I would go with 4GB of RAM for a home server. That would be more than enough.

An SSD for the OS would be wasted IMHO.

For storage, get a bunch of 4TB hard drives and RAID 6 them for redundancy.

I agree with the RAM statement however being as cheap as memory is nowa days i thought why not?

Back
Top Bottom