Building a PC from the ground up... Gots me some questions!

IbexDeath

Baseband Member
Now I'm going to bump this thread until I have a good, solid, list of things to buy to have a complete computer tower.

Alright, so here's the checklist:

MOtherboard:

Processor:

Ram:

Video Card:

Case:

Power Supply:

Hard Drive:

Optical Drive:

I'm starting off with a computer case... So um... I want to have something where I can put 3 gigs of ram in, I'm going to buy a 500 gig hard drive, and I'm going to use it for mostly intense music things that require shiteloads of ram, etc, and a bit of gaming on the side.

However, the MAIN THING I want to do is make it so that when I go to upgrade, it'll be easy to do. Allow me to elaborate, my motherboard right now is a gigabyte so old that it heavily limits what I can upgrade it to, and what other components I can effectively upgrade... Yeah. I know you guys talk alot about setups and the like so I was hoping you could help me out, or at the very least send me somewhere that I can check compatibility for things.

IbexDeath said:
Put it this way... No you don't.
if money is no option then you are going to get loads of peopl reccomending quad cores and 4gigs of ram , vista ultimate and hell even 1tb drives ,
my advice give a price limit

anyways , is this gonna be used for making music or just listening to it
also 2gig o ram is enough at the mo

muz379 said:
if money is no option then you are going to get loads of peopl reccomending quad cores and 4gigs of ram , vista ultimate and hell even 1tb drives ,
my advice give a price limit

anyways , is this gonna be used for making music or just listening to it
also 2gig o ram is enough at the mo
I'm thinking of going with this case, what do you guys think?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811144089

Its going to be used for making music, but some of the VST's I'll be using are several gigs large EACH and require massive ram to get started.

very nice , not my kind of think but with cases its a personal taste thing
one word of advice , get a decent psu dont rely on the included psu cos it will be rubbish

ok you know more about this kind of software than me
howd about going down the apple road , as they are great and very slick for video editing so i guess that would extend to music production , but if you have never used a mac before it may not be worth the effort and they are quite expensive byt as you said before money is no option

have a look here at the mac pro http://www.apple.com/macpro/
take a look at it you may prefer this but its up to you and the software you requitre may not be available for apple computer

ya if you have no price limit:
Intel QX6700
Asus Striker Extreme
2x 8800GTX's in SLi
2x 150GB Raptors in Raid just for OS
then get some other larger drives for storage
Swiftech H20-220 Apex Ultra+ Watercooling Kit(if you want the best you'll have to pick out everything seperatley, but this is a good kit from what I hear)
Enermax Galaxy 1KW PSU
Lian Li Server case
Blue Ray DVD burner
4x 1GB DDR2 1200Mhz
1 maybe 2 42 in. plasma displays

seems pretty good

ok , so you going to be buying off newegg
if so i am unsure about prices but heres what i would reccoment , other people fill in gaps

mb/ will need to research a bit first
CPU: dual core should be enough , c2d e6600
Ram:3GB any good brand-corsair-gskill-crucial-kingston
HD-i would go Raptor for boot and software - couple a seagate 500gig either raid o or no raid , seagate perpendicular recording drives are best
Optical-Dvdrom-Dvd+-burner
Gpu depending on what games you may want an 8800(new dx10 cards) or just a 7900 (DX9 cards)
PSU any good brand 750watts or more PSU
Sorry bout there being no links but i dont use the newegg site cos i am in the uk and they don ship over here
also if you list the games you want to play then people will say which vid card is the best for your needs also does somebody wanna fill in the motherboard cos i havent been paying attention to the mobo market that much lately ,

Alright, let's try to decide what the best computer case is, FEATURE-WISE first. I'll decide the rest after that. Looks are #2.

Back
Top Bottom