Building a new rig, what do you think?

combatc87

Baseband Member
Hello everyone. This is my first post on the site. I'm getting a new computer for college, but during my search I noticed that if I just built it myself, I can get a faster, more powerful, and cooler looking system for the same money. So I've decided to go this route. Now, this is the first system I've ever tried to build (I have a junk computer to practice on), so I would like a little advice on the configuration, like if I will have any comatability issues or if one brand is not as good as another for the money or maybe there's come brand I can buy that's 10x better for 1.5x the price. Anyway, here goes:

-Case: Aspire X-Navigator 500w PSU-$155 (here)

-Motherboard: MSI P4N Diamond Nvidia nForce SLI-$219 (here)

-Processor: Intel Pentium 4 650 3.4GHz-$407 (here)

-Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint P Series 7200 RPM 160GB-$79 (here)

-Memory: GeIL DDR 2 Series 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin-$207 (here)

-Sound Card: CREATIVE Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS-$71 (here)

-Video Card: XFX GeForce 7800 GTX-$600 (here)

-CD/DVD: SONY Black IDE Combo Drive-$30 (here)

Aside from monitor (Samsung 17" LCD), and mouse/keyboard/speakers (all Logitech), that about does it. So, what do you think? I have the money to increase some stuff a little bit, but I don't want to pay more unless it's still a good value, i.e. I'm not gonna pay $600 more to upgrade to a 3.8GHz processor.

EDIT: I switched the vid card to the XFX card due to availability and the fact that it comes with a free gamepad which I just couldnt resist.

Nice! What are you intending to do with this PC? You might want to consider changing over to AMD rather than pentuim if its for gaming

I thought about that, but I'm not too familiar with AMD, so I don't know how to compare the clock speeds and gauge equally built chips. It will be a lot for gaming because I will be majoring in Computer Graphics Technology, so I'll be doing a lot of animation and rendering, so I need a fast and capable machine that will remain ahead of its time in technology for a while. Maybe you can help me out? What speed AMD is comparable to a 3.4GHz P4?

Yeah, for your needs the Intel would fit better, if you were to be a hardcore gamer the AMD would be better though. That's a really nice setup, give us a review on the 7800 if you have the chance, I've only read one by GeForceBoy sofar.

nice rig ... only suggestion would be a minor one. Consider getting a dvd burner for another $15 on top of the $30 you're willing to spend on the combo drive. Im sure that with the graphics & animation that you'll be creating, you'll need the capabilities of a dvd burner for output.

Also, if you're going to be working towards creating graphics and animation for 64-bit ... perhaps having a 939 board and 3500+ Venice cpu would be the way to go.

Well, what drew me to this board was that it is SLI ready. I don't want to do an SLI setup just yet, but maybe in a year or two I will throw in another 7800, maybe if they make a 512mb later that would be compatible with the 256.

Yeah though Pentium 4's are actually better for rendering out in 3D programs. I should know :p
Though I got an AMD...it is a tad bit slower than my mates system at rendering and he has same spec but in Pentium 4, and rest of systems almost the same except video card (though this doens't matter for rendering. I went from a Geforce 2 to a 9800 Pro, and didn't notice any rendering enhancements as its all CPU based, and so the hyper threading would help if it has HT and your 3D prog supports it :D)

Kewl your into animation though :), I am also.
Check my thread on Animusic 2. You might find it interesting!

Great system by the way :D Liking it very much!

but, dude .... don't forget to go with a 16x dvd burner. :) dagumit ... now you got me all jealous!! Wish I had the money you're spending to splurge on a similar rig. Or at least enough to get me one a dem 7800 gt's! :)

Okay, thanks everybody! I think I will kick up that combo drive a bit to a DVD burner. I was amazed at how awesome this system came out and a such a good price (2136 shipped from NewEgg). I was originally looking at a Dell XPS, but this totally beats it for the money.

Back
Top Bottom