Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-28-2011, 01:21 AM   #1
Solid State Member

Default Re: Building new gaming computer

Hello all,

New to the forum and getting back into building my own computer.

Last time I've built a computer I think we were using SDram?

Getting back into it and while it seems simple enough though I can't seem to find a current mobo that supports both ddr2/ddr3 and has room for upgrade.

I have 3gb of ddr2 ram right now that i'd like to utilize.

I have a tower that I've picked out that I have 7 fans mounted not including the one from the power supply and 2 pci mounted fans.

I have a video card that will suffice for now until I ask you guys for help in picking one out later on when I get more money same with the ddr3 ram.

It doesn't have to be specifically any brand just so long as I get the most bang for my buck.

My budget is 200 for the mobo/proc though if it makes sense to spend a little bit more and get a huge upgrade obviously I'm open to that.

Here's where I'm hoping to get some help from you guys.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for both my mobo/cpu combo for what I'm looking to spend?

Keep in mind I want to use this computer mostly for gaming and I really don't want to spend the money for ddr3 ram until I have the extra cash to do it right. Room for upgrade would also be an important factor.

Thanks in advanced!

Oops forgot to mention multiple Hard drive support a plus but not necessary. I have my main Sata ready HD 7200 320gb That I'm going to use and I have a bunch of Hard drives that I've collected over the years that I'm considering using to build a separate USB storage device out of as my own little side project with a modified tower that should be fun to do.

My main computer I'm trying to keep open as possible for air flow and reduce heat.

Also I live in the U.S. so this should be easy

Bahleted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 05:11 PM   #2
Solid State Member

The more I look around the more it seems my plan of utilizing my ddr2 ram is being foiled is this the case are most manufacturers getting away from using ddr2 ram?

Feedback bump

Old 05-28-2011, 07:39 PM   #3
In Runtime

Newegg.com - ASRock N68C-S UCC AM3/AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a Micro ATX AMD Motherboard supports ddr2 and ddr3 ram.
and here is a cpu for the board. Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor HDX945WFK4DGI - Processors - Desktops
Old 05-29-2011, 10:44 AM   #4
Golden Master

For the budget, the board that BrokenAtari gave you will suffice you, but for extra power, I recommend the Phenom II X4 965.

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX
Comes around $180-190.
lhuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:54 AM   #5
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhuser View Post
For the budget, the board that BrokenAtari gave you will suffice you, but for extra power, I recommend the Phenom II X4 965.

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX
Comes around $180-190.
That CPU is incompatible with that motherboard.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:03 AM   #6
Golden Master

Well, I just checked and even though it's not in the list, it's there, but it might need tweaking to get the frequency at the right position. It will work though.

Let me tell you something...The fact that they don't take a 965, but takes a 945 still blows my mind...Oh wait...one is 95W and the 965 is 125W. Well since it will work but at reduced speeds, get the 945.
I'll remember that one.
lhuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:47 AM   #7
Solid State Member

Awesome thanks for the advice and help!

Ordered them and they are on the way only think that bothers me is it doesnt look like i'll be able to use any of the Heatsinks I already have. Bleh