Building a new computer... need help

Judas-Smoke

Beta member
Okay guys here's what I've gathered...
(please continue to read on after specs)

Hard Drive:
Western Digital 80GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model WD800JBRTL, Retail

Ramm:
Kingston ValueRAM Dual Channel Kit 184 Pin 1G(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 - Retail

Processor:
AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 512KB L2 Cache 64-bit Processor - Retail

Sound card:
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS PCI Sound Card, Model "SB0350" -RETAIL

Video card:
AOpen nVIDIA GeForce FX5900XT Video Card, 128MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "FX5900XT-DV128" -RETAIL

I already have an ATI Radeon 9800XT on the comp im using right now, and I get FPS drop on any multiplayer game that I play. But I don't think it's the video cards fault...
Anyway, that's the reason why I'm going to try Geforce 5900XT on this new computer's build that we're work'n on.

CD-ROM Drive:
Lite-On White 52X32X52 Internal EIDE CD-RW Drive, Model SOHR-5238S, Retail

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now here's where I'm running into a lot of trouble, choosing a motherboard. I've been looking at this:

ASUS "K8V" K8T800 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket 754 CPU -RETAIL

which can be found at http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProdu...ufactory=BROWSE

And I've also been looking at this:

ASUS "K8N-E Deluxe" NVIDIA nForce3 Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 754 CPU -RETAIL

which can be found at
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...-498&depa=1

What I'm wondering about with these 2 motherboards is the FSB. The "KV8" motherboard has "Scalable HyperTransport" FSB. What exactly does that mean?
The "K8N-E Deluxe" has "800mhz" FSB. So I guess what I'm getting to is, What is the difference between the "Scalable HyperTransport" FSB and the "800mhz" FSB and which is better?

Also, I need a case with a power supply that is about 250-350watts.The video card I have shown (Geforce 5900XT) only needs a minimum of 250 watts. I only want just a little bit more in watts, just incase somethin funky happens. I want a case, with maybe 2 fans (would those fans be for cooling the HD's or the whole comp, both?) I'd prefere it be a pretty cheap little case but sturdy.

I'm looking at this one right now:

APEX Beige Mid-Tower Super Case with 350W Power Supply, Model "7C574-115"

It doesn't come with any fans, but would fans really be necessary with my system? I'm also not sure if it's power supply is compatible with my AMD setup. But it's only about $30 so it's nice.

Hmm... If I think of anything else to ask anyone, I'll let yall know.

Any information about the items that I have chose, that you may know about, would be helpful.

Does everything seem to be, like, super-seksi-swinging-sounds, with that set up? :-D

P.S. Since everything there is "RETAIL" Does that mean that all the connectors, cables, wires, tranmission (haha jk), etc, come with the hardware parts? As in, I won't have to go to Radioshack to buy parts to connect all this stuff together once I get them from Newegg.com, will I?

yes you will get all the cables. Go with the board with the nforce 3 chipset (y). Also make sure that harddrives got a 8mb buffer ;)

Back
Top Bottom