Building My Own PC

karling07

Daemon Poster
I am thinking of building my own PC. Here is the only restriction: I want it to be in a MidTower Case (I dunno if that has any effect on parts/motherboard, etc).

I already have 512MB RAM, a Monitor, mouse, CDROM drive (will I need a floppy drive?), keyboard, and a PCI network card (so theres gotta be PCI slots).

So I will list the things I know I need to get but could you let me know if I'm missing anything?

-Processor with capabilities of at least 2.0GHZ
-Video card, at least 64MB
-Sound card (I dont know what makes a good and bad sound card; as long as it works...)
-MidTower Case
-Motherboard
-Hard Drive (40+ GB)

That's all I know of... How much do you think building a computer like this is going to cost me? Thanks!

Sheesh... That's a lot more than I had thought. Keep in mind i would be getting some of this off of ebay etc...

I mean I've looked around and heres some of the prices ive found so far:

-Processor with capabilities of at least 2.0GHZ : about $100

-Video card, at least 64MB-- About $30-60

-Sound card (I dont know what makes a good and bad sound card; as long as it works...) -- 20$

-MidTower Case -- 40$

-Motherboard --100$

-Hard Drive -- 50$

PS: have i missed any key parts? I assume i'll have to buy a good amount of certain cables. The power supply will be included with the case.

sorry it was a little priced wasnt it...but yeah ebay certainly brings down the price if you get a good buy...yeah so prob aroun 300 is right

k awesome! I mean, im not gonna be all cheap and buy used low-quality parts; but if i can find a brand new part for way less than in stores, ill get it :)

So now to some other questions...

-Will there be anything else I should buy other than what is in that list (pleas be specific with wires/parts).

-Is a floppy drive reccommended?

-Is it overall a better deal to build your own PC than buy a new one (esp if you're looking forward to the learning experience :p)

Yes, you will also need to buy the following:
RAM (Probably at least 512)
Thermal paste (To cool your CPU unless you want to use the thermal pad on your heatsink which isn't as effective)
Floppy Drive (Needed if you are using a SATA hard drive which I recomend, and if your not you should still get a floppy drive)
Power Supply Probably at least 450W

Yeah, it is a better deal to build your own, you save hundreds.

Back
Top Bottom