Building my first PC

Chikunnism

Beta member
Very sorry if this is in the wrong section. If it is, can a mod move it?

I am planning on building my very first computer within the next few months. I don't come from the richest family and I currently don't have a job but I do have a bit saved up from some under the table work I did this summer. I have been doing research and components and have a build in mind. If you wish to add more to it, feel free to reply but remember I am on a budget; ie - Under $600

AMD Athlon ii x4 Black Edition (3.7GHz Quad Core Processor) - $166
ATI Radeon 6850 - $160
CORSAIR Professional Series HX650 (650w PSU) - $130
Kingston 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM - $25

I already have a case and CD Drive/Burner. I am in need of a Hard Drive (Around 350GB to 500GB). I also have a copy of win7. This computer will be used for multimedia purposes. My goal is to get it to run games such as Team Fortress 2, Battlefield 3, Vindictus, ect and as cheaply as possible. If there are better alternatives for lower prices out there, I would really appreciate it if you would post them.

You just need to get a motherboard and you can get a 500GB drive for like $40 these days. If you live in Australia you could get a 500GB Seagate Barracude from BUY Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM SATAIII 6GB/S 3.5" 16MB | MegaBuy Computer Parts for $38. Theres not much else you need, spend as much as possible on the motherboard so that you can overclock well later on. Also, make sure your case has adequate cooling, it will all run fine but might heat up a bit, and if you are planning on overclocking then you will need some good cooling.

Theres not much else you need, spend as much as possible on the motherboard so that you can overclock well later on. Also, make sure your case has adequate cooling, it will all run fine but might heat up a bit, and if you are planning on overclocking then you will need some good cooling.

I don't see anything in the OP's post that says they're going to be doing any overclocking.

I also disagree with your choice of hard drive, the 16 MB cache drives are dog slow. Try to get something with 32MB of cache as a minimum, to keep the drive as fast as possible.

Chikunnism, your parts are all pretty valid, however I don't know of any 3.7 GHz quad core AMD processors in Athlon II trim. Where are you getting that chip?

The build is otherwise fine, just make sure you nab a good name brand power supply or else you're buying hardware to just throw away later (cheap powersupplies = dead components)

Back
Top Bottom