Building my first computer, need help

MrStevie

Beta member
hi, i'm new to the forums, i've just decided to build my first computer, i've decided on a abit ip35 lga775 motherboard and a intel core 2 quad q6600. anyone have any suggestions on what other components i should get? (graphics card, power suply, ram, etc. etc...) and when i put it together, do i just install all the hardware and then install windows and the drivers after it boots up? thanks for any help you guys can give me.

Hmm... you're not exactly new to the forum, but anyway... I'd suggest 4GB of PC2-6400 Ram, a 8800GT 512MB, and pretty much any PSU (600 or more watts)

Coolermaster makes great cases. Everything else is pretty much user prefrence

G.Skill 2GBHZ ram kit, it's 2x1gb 4-4-4-12, they use MICRON D9! very important. you can find them on the egg for 129. why high compared to others you ask? because they're worth every penny. plus who the heck needs 4gb anyways.

best deal out there as far as a vid card is probably the 8800GT 512mb. or the 8800GTS 512mb, DO NOT get the 320mb/640mb versions of the GTS as that's the old GPU core.

for the power supply i'd go with the Corsair 620HX, it's a sweet power supply that i've used on MANY overclocked quads and even used 1 on a dual woodcrest (2 dual core cpu's) xeon system. it's also modular so you only plug in what you need.

I recommend for the RAM, Corsair XMS2 PC26400, but other brands such as Crucial, OCZ, G.Skill and kingston are also very good. As for the amount, if you're going to be playing new games such as Crysis, Bioshock etc, 3gigs or more will make a huge difference. I used to play Crysis with 2gigs and I used to get a lot of lag, now I have 4gigs and a nice smooth frame rate. If I monitor my RAM usage in these games, I'm using 2.5gigs plus, so 4gigs is definitely worth it. For the PSU, make sure you get a good brand, cheap crap doesn't produce the power they're supposed to and they could damage other components when they fail, which they often do. Get something 500W+ and with 30A+ on the 12V rail. If it has dual 12V rails, even better. And for the GPU, like everyone else says, go with the 8800GT 512MB if you play at more than 1280x1024, if you don't then the 256MB version is fine. Another card to have a look at is the ATI Radeon HD 3870. A bit cheaper but the 8800GT outperforms it by about 10%, still a great card though. Hope this helps.

and when i put it together, do i just install all the hardware and then install windows and the drivers after it boots up? thanks for any help you guys can give me.
You must install all the hardware first, then boot the PC, put the windows disc into the drive and press reset and then if you are prompted to press a key to boot from CD/DVD, do so and follow the instructions.

Back
Top Bottom