I put together a little AMD system to compare when putting together my gaming pc. Here are the components.
- AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (quad core would be fine and would save a few bucks)
- MSI 870-G45 AM3 AMD 770 (has an extra slot for another video card if you want to upgrade in the future. )
- Radeon HD 6850 1GB (equal to a 5970 for $190...yes pls)
- Thermaltake 600w (if you plan on putting dual video or pluggin a lot of shit in, get a few more watts)
- Wester Digital Caviar Green 1.5TB (hitachi, WD...doesn't matter too much. Just get a 64mb cache and 7200rpm)
- Crucial has some Ram for a good price. Get how ever much you need. 4 should be enough, if not, get 8 4GB kit (2GBx2), 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-10600 upgrades for MSI (Micro Star) 870-G45 Motherboard, CT1282082 from Crucial.com
Total = $660 (with a case, mouse, keyboard, monitor it should be well within your budget)
All in all - Good processor speed, nice graphics, plenty of hard drive space. This should last a few years, I doubt a decade, but a few for sure.
Here is what I ended up going with.
Intel Core i7 2600K
Asus P8P67 B3 LE
ASUS HD6850 1GB
DDR3 8GB (2x4GB)1600MHz Viper II Sector 5 Series Patriot 9-9-9-24
64GB Samsung SSD
Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 3.5"
Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W
Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower ATX USB 3.0
Total = 1200
I was naughty and spent more on a 32" Acer tv/monitor, Razer Imperator and a g110 Logitech Keyboard.
So after buying all that good stuff and Windows 7 64 Ultimate as well...my computer is now worth more than my car.
Total = 1800