Building my computer...

TheCrowe14

Solid State Member
I'm about ready to buy all the parts I want and build my new computer.

Here's a list of the stuff I'm getting:

http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=5269832

Also, I'll be running Vista Business edition. I'll also be keeping my 7600gt video card for a couple months until I decide between an ATI and an Nvidia dx10 card.

And I also already have the cd/dvd drives and mouse I'll be using.

I'm just looking for a couple things here:

Compatibility - All this stuff should be compatible, but I'd hate to get it all and find out I made a dumb mistake. Can someone confirm that this stuff is all compatible?

Recommendations - I don't want to spend much more money, but if anybody has recommendations, I'll be glad to hear them.

Lastly, I've never build a computer before. Are there any tools/oddities that I'll need for the actual build process? Will I need thermal paste for the processor I selected?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

yeah looks good as far as compatibility goes.. one thing to check is yuor existing graphics card PCIE ? coz if its AGP it wont fit

also the essential tools for building a computer is a small phillips screw driver an anti static strap.

and an extra tool maybe needed is a small pair of plyers / tweezers for annoying screws that get dropped and other stuff

yeah looks good as far as compatibility goes.. one thing to check is yuor existing graphics card PCIE ? coz if its AGP it wont fit

also the essential tools for building a computer is a small phillips screw driver an anti static strap.

and an extra tool maybe needed is a small pair of plyers / tweezers for annoying screws that get dropped and other stuff

Video card is PCI-E, so I'm good.

Does anybody know if I'll need to buy thermal paste? Or does the E4300 come with the rubber stuff already on it?

And for the anti-static strap, can't I just use something metal instead?

most CPU's nowa days come with fan & heatsink which will have thermal paste already applied

you might want to buy some just incase the last thing you want is to recieve it all be ready and not have thermal paste applied to the CPU

about the anti static strap what i do is work on a hard floor E.G not carpet and continously touch my radiator (as this is grounded) and once ii got the PSU connected i plug it into the wall (keeping it off) and touch the case or PSU every now and then

If its a retail processor, it will come with a stock heatsink and paste. But if it's OEM, it won't. Just be careful of that. Instead of the DS3, get a P5B, or a P5k. The P5k offers the best performance out of those three. The chances of killing something due to static is very low, just make sure to ground yourself before working with the parts...and grab things by the side of the PCB.

Hey about that motherboard it is revision 1.3. Although newegg states it supports 1333 bus the manufacture website says it does not (at least for version 1.0). I noticed that the price went up on that board from 99.99 last week or so, twenty bucks. There is the newest version of that board, v.3 i believe, that supports 1333 speed bus and it was going for 119.99. From what I heard, Intel will be removing most of there slower bus speeds to go to 1333 near the end of the year or so, therefore increasing bus speed may let you get more powerful processors in the future. Anyways, it is the same board, different revision, with higher bus speed and a few other tweaks. Also the Northbridge is known to run hot on those, may want to consider a new heatsink or fan, especially if overclocking, check out the reviews for confirmation.

--Mike

Back
Top Bottom