Building a moderate rig

marksoccer105

Beta member
Hey, I've built about 8 computers in the past and I'm thinking of building my neighbor a new one due to the fact that their emachines mobo just fried. They don't want anything too expensive, like no more than 250 bucks after rebates for a mobo, powersupply, video card, heatsink and case. I was thinking this deal from tigerdirect might be a good place to start http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1784276&CatId=0
Their son wants just to be able to play what he calls "basic" games, but are really a bit more than basic... Half LIfe 2, Far Cry and the like. The only thing I am really not sure about is what video card to get. I'm open to any suggestions about the deal above and video cards. They currently have a nice lcd monitor, 80gb hd, mouse & keyboard, dvd drive, cd drive and windows xp.

Why do you guys have the same thing basically??? Do you no each other personall or is it a famous person idk...

Thanks for the input, I'm thinking that 150 might be a little more expensive then I am looking at budget wise for a video card. I installed a FX5500 in my brothers computer and it runs ok. I mean it will run far cry and half life 2 up to par, but when you throw something like Quake 4 at it, bam! Its choppy, even on the lowest of low settings. His card was something like 50 bucks after rebates. I'm thinking if I cant find a better card than that for the 50-75 dollar range then I will probably end up getting a card similar to that.

By the way, I think its pretty funny that our usernames are very similar, I have been using this username on many different accounts for probably 5-6 years now and I have never met marxsoccer. What a coincidence. Thanks again for the input, any more would be greatly appreciated. Anybody have anything to say about the barebones deal from Tigerdirect I posted above. Some of those deals tend to really be cheap, is this too cheap? I know I will get another heatsink, I already have 2 of the ones that come with it in my basement, they are duds and dont even touch the processor.

Back
Top Bottom