building a media center computer

CompMan

Fully Optimized
I'm trying to figure out a good build for a media center computer. It has to have HD capabilities, digital out (audio (optical)) and component video (for HD)

all is media center pc is is a regular pc in a nicer case, with tv tuners and a remote.

I would recommend this sound card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829127002
it has optical digital out, which is the best way to send sound to a receiver (for home theater speakers)

you need a video card with hdtv out. that way you can send a hdtv signal to your tv.

you can have 2 tv tuners with xp:mc, but only one can be atsc(digital) the other has to be ntsc(analog)

digital tuner:http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2942132&CatId=1427

analog tuner can be any old tuner, but it will not do hdtv (only ldtv)

as for the hard drive, get a seagate, they are the quietest from what i've heard. the key to the computer is for it to be quiet.

Ok well I would need a video card that has Component out since it would be getting hooked to a HDTV.

CompMan said:
Ok well I would need a video card that has Component out since it would be getting hooked to a HDTV.

what about HDMI out? are there any video cards that have HDMI out yet? i thought that was supposed to be the best connection to use for HD video. I've been trying to learn this stuff as I have been looking at getting a HDTV hopefully, and know that hooking it up with an HDMI cable is supposed to be the best.

Just get any video card that has a DVI connection (most do) and then get a DVI to HDMI cable.

DVI and HDMI are very similar, the main difference is that DVI only sends a video signal, while HDMI has both audio and video.

alright, and what do you think about processor? I'm leaning towards the C2D since they are pwning everything out there.

yes hdmi is the best, but no video cards support it (that I know of) you don't want composite out, that only supports ldtv. As long as your videocards has the dongle with the red, green, and blue connectors on it, then you will get an hdtv picture sent to your tv.

Actually HDMI and component (RGB) is the same unless you are running over 100ft.

which would be better....a video card with DVI to HDMI cable, or a video card with component cables (red, green, and blue) to get the best HDTV signal from the computer?

dvi to HDMI, becuase they are the same(1080p max), but HDMI transmits sound also.
that is the best, followed by RBG(1080p max), then component(1080p max), s-video(480i max), and then composite(480i max), assuming you arn't running cables longer than 25 feet, then component would be the best.

and for the processcor, a c2d would be overkill, but it would be fun to be gaming on the couch. (I personally would just go with a amd athlon x2 4200+)

Back
Top Bottom