Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-21-2012, 04:11 AM   #1
Beta Member

Default Building a low end gaming pc, help needed!

Hey everyone, I am trying to plan out the needed hardware for a possible gaming computer that I may be able to buy all the components for and build later this year. I am not very well off with money at the moment so here are the parts I have on the list currently, and I will ask my questions after the build has been laid out, but I have yet to choose a PSU, mainly because there are many cheap ones available but I don't know whether or not to trust them! Also, I have yet to choose a graphics card, I will tell you why after I've listed the components.

Case: CiT Vantage Midi Mesh Gaming Case

Processor: AMD A8 3870K

Motherboard: Asus F1A55-M LX Motherboard

RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB

There is also a disk drive and a wireless PCI card in the build as well.

Okay, so here are my problems:

1) I am not sure which PSU to buy, I am a first time computer builder and have heard that cheap PSU's often do not work as intended and cause damage to the computer's hardware. If this is true, then I will invest my money is a more expensive power supply.

2) I wanted to crossfire an AMD Radeon HD6670 2GB DDR3 graphics card with the APU's graphics in order to minimize costs. I chose the card because I heard that any GDDR5 graphics card will automatically be 'downgraded' to DDR3 when used this way, so I thought it would be better to buy a 2GB DDR3 because it's cheaper than a 1GB GDDR5 card of the same model and there is an extra gigabyte of dedicated graphics memory. However, I have also been told by someone that you can only use a maximum of 1GB cards when using AMD Dual Graphics with the Llano APU's. If this is true, then maybe I should wait a little longer and buy a more expensive video card and forget about crossfiring it with the APU.

So, what PSU should I plan on getting? The cheaper the better, I don't have much money to throw around.

And also, is it possible to crossfire a 2GB DDR3 6670 with the APU? Or should I instead buy a 1GB GDDR5 7750 and not run it in Dual Graphics Mode?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help out

j4ke002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:21 AM   #2
Daemon Poster

Default Re: Building a low end gaming pc, help needed!

I wouldnt bother with ddr3 gpu , you would be rebuilding the machine from scratch in 6 months time if you use that chip/mobo. get the best 1gb ddr5 radeon you can afford.

Only use trusted psu brands like corsair, seasonic, antec, OCZ, xfx and coolermaster. Always get at least a 80 PLUSŪ Bronze Certified psu or 80 PlusŪ Gold if you can afford it (measure of Efficiency).

Coolermaster is at the lower price bracket i believe. A good site for buying your parts from is novatech, there customer service is excellent. www.novatech.co.uk

I would get a newer chipset board GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3 AMD 970 (Socket AM3+) Motherboard | GA-970A-DS3

And the AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 Black Edition 3.60Ghz (Socket AM3+) Processor - Retail | FD4100WMGUSBX

this card is only a 16 more than the 7750 and much better XFX AMD Radeon HD 7770 Super Overclock 1024MB GDDR5 <font color="red">Free Game: DiRT Showdown</font> | FX-777A-ZDSC

Old 08-21-2012, 06:51 AM   #3
Beta Member

Default Re: Building a low end gaming pc, help needed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja6on View Post
I wouldnt bother with ddr3 gpu , you would be rebuilding the machine from scratch in 6 months time if you use that chip/mobo. get the best 1gb ddr5 radeon you can afford.

Only use trusted psu brands like corsair, seasonic, antec, OCZ, xfx and coolermaster. Always get at least a 80 PLUSŪ Bronze Certified psu or 80 PlusŪ Gold if you can afford it (measure of Efficiency).

Coolermaster is at the lower price bracket i believe. A good site for buying your parts from is novatech, there customer service is excellent. www.novatech.co.uk

I would get a newer chipset board GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3 AMD 970 (Socket AM3+) Motherboard | GA-970A-DS3

And the AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 Black Edition 3.60Ghz (Socket AM3+) Processor - Retail | FD4100WMGUSBX

this card is only a 16 more than the 7750 and much better XFX AMD Radeon HD 7770 Super Overclock 1024MB GDDR5 <font color="red">Free Game: DiRT Showdown</font> | FX-777A-ZDSC
I can afford the extra 50-70 pounds added on this way, and I am guessing these parts are a lot more future proof. I will find some benchmarks and videos for the graphics card and make a decision
j4ke002 is offline   Reply With Quote