Building a Laptop. TIPS Please!

Its been possible for quite a while, but kind of a niche market because of the price. I really do not know of a site to buy the parts at, but if someone could post one, I would be able to take a look and give some recommendations.

I want to use this processor: Intel Core i5-750 2.66GHz
http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/200745
I think this one is just for desktops; I thought I saw something a few days ago about one for a laptop..

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-MS-1432-1...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1268543947&sr=8-1
And then something like that as far as the case for the laptop, screen, etc. goes..

Most of the barebones laptops come with processors already in them.. I hope theres a way I can buy them separately to save a couple bucks

For a 'site' that specifically sells the parts, its hard to locate one. I've just been googling and checking on ebay and amazon.

I have to go for now, I'm going to be checking in on this thread daily.
Keep it active people!! This will be useful for the entire community

well i aint much of know what is good video cards and what not for gaming so i will let foothead handle that one. would think you would need anything more than a dual core but he can field you on that stuff there. I would def go with win7 though, so much better than xp, i actually think it is more stable than xp. Looks a lot cooler and xp is not being supported anymore everything is going the way of win 7 so in the long run you are going to burn yourself. Win7 may be more of a sys hog but it supports a lot more ram than xp does. 32 bit xp only supports about 3.5 gigs but win7 i think will see 5. If you want more go with x64 that will get you more

I'm gonna be honest.
I have not :(
Just doesn't seem to be as smart as building a normal desktop.
But hell, people say the same about building a regular PC so idk.
Is it even cost effective? And how many lights can you put in the sucker? :D

If you are going to do it you need to be extremely careful when you are working on it. A lot of the parts in a laptop are smaller and more delicate than on a desktop. Connectors and ribbon cables for example.

It's going to cost more money to build a laptop vs buying one, just know that. Laptop parts are expensive. Personally I'd rather buy a laptop already assembled.

its probably best to buy a laptop than build. it is ten times more expencive to build because most parts for sale out there are for replacement so they can get away with charging the earth.

Back
Top Bottom