Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #1
Beta Member

Lightbulb Building a Laptop

I'm 13 and I want a laptop but I don't have the money to just go out and buy myself a nice, quality laptop computer. I would want an integrated webcam and about 10"-12" on screen length. Opinions and/or advice please! Where would I get things like a mini webcam for a laptop, the barebones, and is there really a way to integrate the webcam myself. Is this too difficult for my age group? Thanks!
-Zach

Z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:17 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Building a Laptop

Building your own laptop isn't like building your own desktop PC. It's actually more expensive to build your own laptop as opposed to building your own desktop PC. If you just want a cheap alternative, try a netbook. There are several different netbook models out there with 10" to 12" screens.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:33 PM   #3
In Runtime

I could be mistaken but dont laptops come standard with webcams nowadays?

I agree with cboucher, the cheaper route would be to build your own PC or go with a netbook but if later on you want to get into computer games then i would recommend building a PC
Macmaster4k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:38 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macmaster4k2 View Post
I could be mistaken but dont laptops come standard with webcams nowadays?

I agree with cboucher, the cheaper route would be to build your own PC or go with a netbook but if later on you want to get into computer games then i would recommend building a PC
Most all of the netbooks I've looked at come standard with webcams, I would guess that most laptops probably do as well.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:11 AM   #5
In Runtime

Yeah, build a real computer, if anything. I can't imagine how many hoops you would have to jump through to build a laptop from scratch. Being 13, I'm guessing you're into games, like myself, which is also why you'll want a proper rig to play games on. Also, no offense intended here, honestly, but you're 13... are you sure you want to be building a computer? There are risks involved if you have no clue what you're doing, and it does require a fair bit of cash. Building a computer isn't like connecting Lego parts together. I suggest, if you're really after a laptop, that you simply buy a pre-built one. There are some awesome laptops out there, but they do tend to cost a fair bit, especially the gaming laptops. Sorry if I seem harsh, it's just that if I had a 13 year old kid, I wouldn't feel comfortable with him dealing with all that electricity and parts, let alone the cost. I was just under 16 when I first got into PC hardware, and even that was probably a bit young to be messing with that stuff, especially solo. Please be careful!
Der-PC-Mann is offline   Reply With Quote