Building a Gaming Rig

Yes i am aware that if one of my HDD's fails, all of my data will be gone. Although this will not affect my OS HDD, i will back up all of my data on DVD's every 6 months, or when i make majour changes to my files

Good, good. I've seen far too many sad faces from failed drives in such a RAID configuration. :/

Good, good. I've seen far too many sad faces from failed drives in such a RAID configuration. :/

i did some reaserch on this topic, and realized that there was a risk involved. Even though this risk exists, i have warrenty, and i will back up my data, so the pros over rule the cons

Yes i am aware that if one of my HDD's fails, all of my data will be gone. Although this will not affect my OS HDD, i will back up all of my data on DVD's every 6 months, or when i make majour changes to my files

Thanks for that information, but i think i will go with this PSU Thermal Take

that one is more expensive than the first one you linked, and provides less power (14 and 15 amps on the 12v rails instead of the 16 and 16 configuration of the first one), you're going from 32 total amps on the 12v rails to 29, why would you pay more to downgrade...?

that one is more expensive than the first one you linked, and provides less power (14 and 15 amps on the 12v rails instead of the 16 and 16 configuration of the first one), you're going from 32 total amps on the 12v rails to 29, why would you pay more to downgrade...?

You mean this PSU right?.. http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3276574&csid=_21

umm, i am worried that 4 perifiral connectors will not be enough, because i will be upgrading.

go dual as posted before thats a great cpu, and maybe use the money to sli or got to a 9800 gtx card.

and you have added at least 100 for the os correct??

go dual as posted before thats a great cpu, and maybe use the money to sli or got to a 9800 gtx card.

and you have added at least 100 for the os correct??

he wouldn't save any money going dual, actually, the Q6600 is the cheaper option...

You mean this PSU right?.. http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3276574&csid=_21

umm, i am worried that 4 perifiral connectors will not be enough, because i will be upgrading.

that's not the one from your original post, either way, more connections doesn't mean it's more powerful, if you use all of the connections on the Thermaltake psu you'll probably be running into problems anyway, the low amperage on the 12v rails (14 and 15) is the main concern, the original psu you linked would have plenty enough connections and had more amps (16 and 16), the only 4 pin molex connection you would probably use is the optical drive and the rest of your buils would be SATA, you could also pick up a 4 pin molex to SATA power connector when you do decide to upgrade, but just because the Thermaltake has all those connections doesn't mean it's advisable to use them all, especially with a power hungry video cards which will probably take most of the amps from one of the rails by itself...

ultimately it's your decision, but the first psu you linked, the cheaper one, was actually the better psu for your build...

this was the original one you linked, coolermaster 500w, and six 4 pin molex and 3 SATA connectors should be enough...

optical drive- 4 pin molex...
OS hdd- SATA...
2 media hdds- SATA...
6 pin PCIe connector- video card...

all your SATA power connectors would be used, but that would leave five 4 pin molex connectors left over, get a couple 4 pin molex to SATA adapters and you'd be good to go for any other peripherals you might want to add later...

he wouldn't save any money going dual, actually, the Q6600 is the cheaper option...

that's not the one from your original post, either way, more connections doesn't mean it's more powerful, if you use all of the connections on the Thermaltake psu you'll probably be running into problems anyway, the low amperage on the 12v rails (14 and 15) is the main concern, the original psu you linked would have plenty enough connections and had more amps (16 and 16), the only 4 pin molex connection you would probably use is the optical drive and the rest of your buils would be SATA, you could also pick up a 4 pin molex to SATA power connector when you do decide to upgrade, but just because the Thermaltake has all those connections doesn't mean it's advisable to use them all, especially with a power hungry video cards which will probably take most of the amps from one of the rails by itself...

ultimately it's your decision, but the first psu you linked, the cheaper one, was actually the better psu for your build...

this was the original one you linked, coolermaster 500w, and six 4 pin molex and 3 SATA connectors should be enough...

optical drive- 4 pin molex...
OS hdd- SATA...
2 media hdds- SATA...
6 pin PCIe connector- video card...

all your SATA power connectors would be used, but that would leave five 4 pin molex connectors left over, get a couple 4 pin molex to SATA adapters and you'd be good to go for any other peripherals you might want to add later...

Thank you. You have answered the question in my mind. The new PSU that i origionally linked will save me some money.

And to the OS related question, no i have not kept money for the OS because I will not be buying everything at the same time. I will buy the things i need, and keep the extra's at the side

Back
Top Bottom