Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-16-2012, 06:08 PM   #11
Baseband Member
 
Accurate_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Scotland
Posts: 24
Default Re: Building a Gaming PC and I Need Help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hameister View Post
You have got to be the most arrogant young man I've ever come across.

Because OS-Wiz and I can afford to build very powerful computers, that are beyond your reach, you say we waste our money, know nothing about computers, and on this thread, ( first custom gaming pc build ) you are quoted as calling me dumb", as well as a "liar".

I don't believe I have ever experienced such over the top, jealousy before. That's all this is you know. Just plain jealousy.

Perhaps the next time you see a fellow in a $65,000 Corvette, you should call him dumb, and tell him he's wasted his money, because your $18,000 Volkswagen Beetle also has 4 wheels and goes everywhere his Corvette goes. It's the same logic.

I apologize to the OP on this thread. However, insulting inappropriate behavior needs to be addressed. This is my last word on this subject. I will respond no more.
I'm not jealous. Why would I want to build a computer for $4000 when it will use only half of its power?
It clearly shows you both know hardly anything about computers.

Why would you put two 580's in SLI? Not only are they outdated, but you'll experience micro stuttering in your gameplay. Then, for some reason you've added a GTX 460. What is the point in all these GPU's?

Why would you buy a H100 Cooler. The price doesn't match it's performance. You could have got a cooler that is cheaper and performs better than the H100.

Why would you need a motherboard like that? It's completely overkill.

Why do you need a 1200W PSU. That is way too much wattage. For your system, you would only need 1000W, maybe not even that.

You keep talking about cars for some reason. A car can always be made to go faster and so can a computer. But, you game, that's all you do. You can only add so much good parts until it completely maxes out every single game.


I didn't want this to turn into a big argument, I just presumed you were lying about your system like a lot of other people do.

I'm not jealous, why would I be? Should I be jealous of a man who build his system stupidly and wasted $2000 for nothing?
__________________

Accurate_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:21 PM   #12
Fully Optimized
 
OhSnapWord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 1,853
Default Re: Building a Gaming PC and I Need Help.

Did you come on this forum for the sole purpose of trolling? If Hameister wants to spend $4000 on a computer, why does it matter to you? It's not like you're paying for it.

If you truly feel that his computer is too powerful, feel free to build a computer that you feel is adequate and give it to him.

Now onto OPs question. How much are you willing to spend on your computer?
__________________

__________________
FX-8350 @ 4.7 cooled by H80, 32GB Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 2133, Asus Sabertooth 990FX, 2x Radeon HD 7850 2GB in X-fire, 500GB Samsung 850 Evo, 4TB Seagate, 3TB WD Black, 2x 1TB WD RED in RAID 0
OhSnapWord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:42 PM   #13
Baseband Member
 
Accurate_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Scotland
Posts: 24
Default Re: Building a Gaming PC and I Need Help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhSnapWord View Post
Did you come on this forum for the sole purpose of trolling? If Hameister wants to spend $4000 on a computer, why does it matter to you? It's not like you're paying for it.

If you truly feel that his computer is too powerful, feel free to build a computer that you feel is adequate and give it to him.

Now onto OPs question. How much are you willing to spend on your computer?
Why are you taking it out on me? Haven't you seen people before lying about their system?

All I did was send him a message saying that I didn't believe that he had that system because not only was it completely dumb to build one like that, it also cost $4000.

He started saying I was ignorant for calling him a liar, but can't he realise why I was so doubtful? I even said I was sorry for not believing him.
Accurate_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:42 PM   #14
In Runtime
 
OS-Wiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 334
Default Re: Building a Gaming PC and I Need Help.

Accurate_, oh great and all knowing PC Guru, I'm on my knees begging for your wisdom and advice. I need a gaming PC that can run all the current games at 2560x1440 res, no less than 60FPS with max eye-candy. Your advice greatly appreciated.

I beg your further indulgence if you can take time out from your busy schedule to help me with my Server. It must run Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2012 Beta, Windows Home Server, Ubantu, Oracle Linux, Win 7, and Oracle Express. I'm thinking of going with Oracle's VirtualBox virtual machine so I can run all the OSes at the same time. What do you think would be my best choice in virtual machines? By the way, it must also provide the JAVA SDK, .Net for PSP, XMLSpy, SoapUI, and C##. Again, please advise. Thank you ever so much!
__________________
i7-3930K - Corsair H100 push/pull fans - ASUS Rampage IV Extreme - 4 x 4GB G.Skill DDR3 2133 - 2 x EVGA GTX680s in SLI - OS, 256GB Samsung 830 SSD - Games, 256GB Crucial M4 SSD - Antec TPC 1200W - Dell 27" IPS 2560x1440 - APC XS1500 UPS - Win7 Ultimate x64
OS-Wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:44 PM   #15
Baseband Member
 
Accurate_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Scotland
Posts: 24
Default Re: Building a Gaming PC and I Need Help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OS-Wiz View Post
Accurate_, oh great and all knowing PC Guru, I'm on my knees begging for your wisdom and advice. I need a gaming PC that can run all the current games at 2560x1440 res, no less than 60FPS with max eye-candy. Your advice greatly appreciated.

I beg your further indulgence if you can take time out from your busy schedule to help me with my Server. It must run Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2012 Beta, Windows Home Server, Ubantu, Oracle Linux, Win 7, and Oracle Express. I'm thinking of going with Oracle's VirtualBox virtual machine so I can run all the OSes at the same time. What do you think would be my best choice in virtual machines? By the way, it must also provide the JAVA SDK, .Net for PSP, XMLSpy, SoapUI, and C##. Again, please advise. Thank you ever so much!
Stop being such an ass, man. It wasn't me that started all this, I just thought he was lying. I even said I was sorry for doubting him, can't we end this?
Accurate_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:49 PM   #16
In Runtime
 
OS-Wiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 334
Default Re: Building a Gaming PC and I Need Help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accurate_ View Post
Stop being such an ass, man. It wasn't me that started all this, I just thought he was lying. I even said I was sorry for doubting him, can't we end this?
The best ending I can think of would be for you to remain silent until you've learned a few things about PCs and people. Forums like this are for helping people, not ridiculing others and acting like you know anything about the PC hobby.
__________________
i7-3930K - Corsair H100 push/pull fans - ASUS Rampage IV Extreme - 4 x 4GB G.Skill DDR3 2133 - 2 x EVGA GTX680s in SLI - OS, 256GB Samsung 830 SSD - Games, 256GB Crucial M4 SSD - Antec TPC 1200W - Dell 27" IPS 2560x1440 - APC XS1500 UPS - Win7 Ultimate x64
OS-Wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:29 PM   #17
Fully Optimized
 
OhSnapWord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 1,853
Default Re: Building a Gaming PC and I Need Help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accurate_ View Post
Why are you taking it out on me? Haven't you seen people before lying about their system?

All I did was send him a message saying that I didn't believe that he had that system because not only was it completely dumb to build one like that, it also cost $4000.

He started saying I was ignorant for calling him a liar, but can't he realise why I was so doubtful? I even said I was sorry for not believing him.
I don't care if he is or isn't lying.

You were wrong to call him out.

He was wrong to bring it into public.

End of story.
__________________
FX-8350 @ 4.7 cooled by H80, 32GB Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 2133, Asus Sabertooth 990FX, 2x Radeon HD 7850 2GB in X-fire, 500GB Samsung 850 Evo, 4TB Seagate, 3TB WD Black, 2x 1TB WD RED in RAID 0
OhSnapWord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:13 AM   #18
Site Team
 
celegorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,713
Send a message via AIM to celegorm
Default Re: Building a Gaming PC and I Need Help.

Wow this thread got out of hand.

First: the only time a $4000 computer is a waste of money is when it's only used to browese the internet.

Second: SLI'ing any card is never a bad thing. For that fact, 2 680's is amazingly fast and can span 3 monitors in game without a lost in FPS.

Third: 570+ on anything lower than 1200w is simply not preparing for the future. As capacitors age they require more power to maintain performance. Getting a larger PSU at the beginning keeps you from burning items out because your shorted your PSU. This is why good PSU calculators ask you to estimate the age of the components.

Fourth: keep all opinions about other people's rigs to yourself unless specifically asked for. The exception to this is asking how parts are working when looking for something similar.

Fifth: What did any of this do to help the OP? To be blunt it made everyone and this entire forum look crappy. Opinions are like butt holes: Everyone has one and no one's is better than another's.

And because I've already started bullets, Sixth: Either take this argument to a PMs or drop it. If you don't like a PM you get then report it but those should never spill over to public posts. As OSW put it: End of story.


----

Now back to the original post.

What I'd recommend from experience that can done if shopping bundles or watching newegg or tiger direct for sales:

Intel i7 or equivalent AMD CPU. You could go for an i5 but 4 cores + hyperthreading is much better than just 4 cores, particularly with all the crap windows runs in the background. From experience though, this will not run BF3 on high.
GTX570 which is getting cheaper every day. OR get one 670. Speaking from experience when gaming with a dual monitor setup it's a drag on 1 card to power 2 screens. The moment I SLI'ed my 570s with 2 21.5" 1080p monitors I saw a small FPS increase but a noticeable difference in stuttering (in a good way). Not sure how true this is for a 670, but I have a feeling that even with bundles and sales that will not be in your budget for a while.
8-10GB RAM: 1600Mhz is best, why spend the money on everything else to save $5 and lose a lot of the system's native potential
Small hard drive: Aprox. 500GB in size for data and storage or games that you don't play often.
120-128GB SSD: Windows and games you play often
* DISCLAMER: The hard drive recommendations are assuming you don't use this computer to also store and handle all of your media. If this system also will serve as a photobucket, or home for your music then one 2 TB drive is fine. That's the route I started at and when I got some spair change I bought a SSD, installed windows to it then used the HDD as a data drive which is all pretty easy to do down the road.
USB Ports: 8 is pretty much standard now, not even including the 2+ you get on the case's front panel. Think about what you'll be connecting into this as well. Between my keyboard, iPod, battery backup link (so windows can see battery charge), printer, data recovery tools and the mouse I've eaten all 8 of my ports. Thankfully between 4 ports on my front panel and 2 on my keyboard I have room for USB hard drives, flash drives and my phone. Plan your usage out and worse case scenario you can buy a USB hub for about $20 down the road.

Finally case: Everyone prefers a different case. I happen to like my HAF 932, it's little brother the 912 is nice as well, and Antec has a nice line of cases too. Just think ventilation, functionality and looks and you'll pick a decent case.
__________________
"as a fanboy i refuse to admit it and will pull countless things out of my butt to disprove it"

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:44 AM   #19
Daemon Poster
 
Hameister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 887
Default Re: Building a Gaming PC and I Need Help.

@Celegorm,

All excellent points, I'd be interested to know your system specs., because you obviously understand, and build to enjoy this hobby.

I purchased my GTX 580 cards, about a year and a half ago, when they were first released. I skipped the 680s, because for me, there wasn't a significant enough improvement in performance to justify the expense. Next year, my son will get these 580s because I'll be buying a pair of 780s for a 3 monitor system. I tend to purchase graphic cards every other generation for maximum life, and dollar value. Something the OP may want to consider when building his. I have not experienced "stutter" with SLI performance using a pair of GTX 280 cards, 460 cards, or 580 cards, and I've built numerous systems with those cards over the years. Perhaps I've just been lucky.

The PSU was also a good point the OP may want to keep in mind. It seems to me that the single biggest mistake most folks make when building a computer is purchasing a PSU for exactly their needs at the time of the build. I always suggest a 30% to 40% overhead on a power supply. Why?

First because components age, and any PSU will be reduced in performance by 10% to 15% over the course of a few years. Second, because it is ridiculous to have to buy a new power supply a year or two later, because you want to add another video card, or some other component, and I see that happening to people all the time. Always purchase a power supply with enough "headroom", so that your system can grow, the PSU can handle it, and it runs cool, and is never operating at capacity. Consider a headroom of at least 25%.

Always attempt to purchase a motherboard with a socket and chipset that will be viable for the next generation of CPU. I use the word attempt because that just isn't always possible. Although there is no such thing as "future proof", you always want to at least strive for that goal.

If it's within your budget, include an SSD for at least your OS, and most important apps. 120/128GB solid state drives are available today for less than $100, and have a dramatic impact on system performance. Always remember that backing up data is critical so always plan on at least one, internal or external HDD for back ups, and storage.

If you get into gaming you'll soon realize how critical cooling can be. Always use a full tower case if possible. Full size chassis generally provide much better airflow, than mid-tower cases, and the HAF 932 Advanced, is one of the highest air flow, coolest cases available. I would also recommend the Cooler Master Storm Trooper, however, after building the same machine in both cases, and running numerous idle, and load benchmarks, the HAF 932 was about 5c cooler overall.

As for memory, always try to purchase the highest density sticks you can. In other words, if you want 16GB of memory, purchase 2x8GB sticks, rather than 4x4GB sticks. If you want 8GB, then buy 2x4GB sticks, and not 4x2GB sticks. Why? Because the more you populate the DIMM slots, the less room you have for future expansion. Also, if you're like many of us, and you decide to get into over clocking in the future, the more populated your DIMM slots, the more the CPU memory controller is loaded down, and so the more difficult it is to achieve high clock rates with the lowest voltage.

CPU cooling is a whole other subject, but we've given you enough to think about for now.

I hope these tips help.
__________________

__________________
HAF 932 Advanced / Corsair AX1200 / Asus Rampage IV Extreme / i7-3930K / H100 Cooling 4x120mm
16GB Corsair DDR3 / GTX 580x2 SLI + GTX 460 PhysX / SSDs Mushkin 240GB, Crucial 256GB, Crucial 512GB
Hameister is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
assistance, build, computer, gaming, specifications

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0