Building a Gaming PC and I Need Help.

computinator

Beta member
I'm looking to build a really good gaming PC, but I'm not too familiar with computer terms. From what I know, I'm looking for something with,
  • A 2TB Hardrive
  • An 8-Core Processor
  • As much memory as possible
  • An ATI or Saphire video card
  • 2 21-inch 1080p Monitors
  • At least 8 USB ports
I know there are a lot of things missing from my list that would complete the computer and that the items on my list could use some adjusting. I was hoping someone could list some specs for a really good gaming PC. My budget is $1300. I need the PC to be able to run GPU-intensive games like Battlefiled 3, Sims 3, Saints Row 3, etc., and be able to run FRAPS or Camtasia in the background at a good framerate.

Last edited:
I suggest you visit a site like iBuyPower, or CyberPower, and just look at the hardware in the various gaming machines they sell. Then, based on your own budget you can either build or buy one. I'm not recommending either site, just use them for hardware ideas, vs. budget.

I can tell you that an 8 core cpu is not needed for gaming. A quad core is more than sufficient. Multiple monitors would be your choice, but places different requirements on the graphics card you choose.

Personally I prefer Nvidia, over AMD graphics cards, but that's a matter of personal choice.

I'm looking to build a really good gaming PC, but I'm not too familiar with computer terms. From what I know, I'm looking for something with,
  • A 2TB Hardrive
  • An 8-Core Processor
  • As much memory as possible
  • An ATI or Saphire video card
  • 2 21-inch 1080p Monitors
  • At least 8 USB ports
I know there are a lot of things missing from my list that would complete the computer and that the items on my list could use some adjusting. I was hoping someone could list some specs for a really good gaming PC. My budget is $1300. I need the PC to be able to run GPU-intensive games like Battlefiled 3, Sims 3, Saints Row 3, etc., and be able to run FRAPS or Camtasia in the background at a good framerate.

I don't think you need a 2TB HDD if you're just going to be gaming on it, a 1TB
HDD would be more than enough.

You don't need an 8 core processor, 4 cores will do. No game, at this moment in time, would utilise all 8 cores.

You don't need as much memory as possible. For gaming, you need 8GB or 16GB at the max.

It's your choice about the monitors, but I really do not see the point in getting two. Not only is it quite annoying trying to look at both screens, but it will require more GPU power.

Why do you need 8 USB ports?
Even if you plug in, say, headphones, a mouse, a keyboard, a dongle and a memory stick, you're still going to have 3 USB ports left.

Anyway, here's the system I recommend :

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case
PSU: Silverstone 850W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

This will come to a total of around $1050.

If you increase your budget by $100, you could get an SSD. You don't need to, I just recommend it.

This will run any game without any issues whatsoever on the highest settings possible.

Last edited:
Hey Accurate,

Before you go nutsoid when you see OS-Wiz's sig., I should tell you that he is a personal friend, and we built the same machines, at the same time.

Only major difference is he went for a pair of GTX 680 cards, while I stayed with my old GTX 580s.

Hey Accurate,

Before you go nutsoid when you see OS-Wiz's sig., I should tell you that he is a personal friend, and we built the same machines, at the same time.

Only major difference is he went for a pair of GTX 680 cards, while I stayed with my old GTX 580s.

You can obviously understand why I doubted you had that system at first, it's not something you see everyday. I also see a lot of people saying they have amazing systems, but really they don't, they just lie to make themselves look cool.

What you guys have done is wasted a lot of money. You game, that's all. You definitely don't need a GTX 680 in 2-way SLI.

You can obviously understand why I doubted you had that system at first, it's not something you see everyday. I also see a lot of people saying they have amazing systems, but really they don't, they just lie to make themselves look cool.

What you guys have done is wasted a lot of money. You game, that's all. You definitely don't need a GTX 680 in 2-way SLI.

I don't think I've ever witnessed such ignorance, as well as arrogance, on a forum site before.

Next time, OS-Wiz and I, will be sure to check with you before we build a computer.

I don't think I've ever witnessed such ignorance, as well as arrogance, on a forum site before.

Next time, OS-Wiz and I, will be sure to check with you before we build a computer.
I don't think I was ignorant in any way in that post, all I did was state the obvious.

I don't know why we've got into a big argument over this, I just didn't believe you had that system.
The only thing I said was that you wasted your money. You've obviously got to agree with me on that. If you don't, you clearly know nothing about computers.

...The only thing I said was that you wasted your money. You've obviously got to agree with me on that. If you don't, you clearly know nothing about computers.

You have got to be the most arrogant young man I've ever come across.

Because OS-Wiz and I can afford to build very powerful computers, that are beyond your reach, you say we waste our money, know nothing about computers, and on this thread, ( http://www.computerforums.org/forums/hardware/first-custom-gaming-pc-build-218897.html ) you are quoted as calling me dumb", as well as a "liar".

I don't believe I have ever experienced such over the top, jealousy before. That's all this is you know. Just plain jealousy.

Perhaps the next time you see a fellow in a $65,000 Corvette, you should call him dumb, and tell him he's wasted his money, because your $18,000 Volkswagen Beetle also has 4 wheels and goes everywhere his Corvette goes. It's the same logic.

I apologize to the OP on this thread. However, insulting inappropriate behavior needs to be addressed. This is my last word on this subject. I will respond no more.

Back
Top Bottom