Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-20-2010, 08:57 PM   #1
Solid State Member

Default Building a Gaming Computer!! :D

Hey guys this is my new post here : ) . I'm planning to build a new computer soon because mine has been outdated and it was pre-built so I want to build a PC that can last me for YEARS and allow me to upgrade later on in the future : )

So just wondering to all the people here on this forum if all of these things I'm putting into my computer is good? : )
__________________________________________________ _________
*EDIT
Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 470 ($359)

Motherboard : EVGA X58 SLI LE ($229)

CPU : Intel i7 930 2.80 GHZ ($299)

RAM : OCZ DDR3 6GB 1333 MHZ ($169)

Case: Full Tower Antec Twelve Hundred ($179) [really get air ventilation]

Power Supply: I'm not really sure what to get... but the store recommended me a 750 Watts one. So I might get the : Ultra X4 750-Watt Modular Power Supply ($139)
Also if anyone can, explain to me which is better a Modular PSU or a Non-Modular?

__________________________________________________ ________

That's pretty much it... The DVD and Hard Drive doesn't matter that much I can decide later..

So in total the computer will come up to around $1600 with tax which is around my budget.

If I should make any changes anyone let me know : ) I'm building it this Saturday because I sold my out dated one and I need a computer for my summatives.

I've never built a computer before and I've been doing a lot of research lately,and since the total would sum up to about $1600, I don't really want to take the risk of building a computer and screwing up... so should I just take it to the store? Also how much would they charge me usually?

Thank you : )

*EDIT
Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 470 ($359)

TextureBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:02 PM   #2
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster
Default Re: Building a Gaming Computer!! :D

Looks good to me. Very expensive though. You should look into getting the parts online if you can, it may save ya some hard earned cash.

Modular power supplies are nice as you use only the cables you need. It helps to minimize clutter and improve airflow in the case. You shouldn't need much more than a quality 600W unit with a single graphics card. Which leads to another question, what video card(s) are you planning on using?

It's really not that hard assembling a computer. If you're handy with a wrench and screwdriver, you should be OK. Have a read through this: MY SUPER PC - How To Build A PC - A Computer Building Guide

Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:11 PM   #3
Solid State Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
Looks good to me. Very expensive though. You should look into getting the parts online if you can, it may save ya some hard earned cash.

Modular power supplies are nice as you use only the cables you need. It helps to minimize clutter and improve airflow in the case. You shouldn't need much more than a quality 600W unit with a single graphics card. Which leads to another question, what video card(s) are you planning on using?

It's really not that hard assembling a computer. If you're handy with a wrench and screwdriver, you should be OK. Have a read through this: MY SUPER PC - How To Build A PC - A Computer Building Guide
OH HOW CAN I FORGET ! THE GPU! Sorry let me add that in, the graphics card I'm planning to use is the EVGA GTX 470
Old 05-20-2010, 09:11 PM   #4
Daemon Poster

Like atomic said, very very expensive. But quite nice. I would recommend going with DDR3 1600 though, instead of 1333.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:12 PM   #5
Solid State Member

Also, my summatives are due next week and I dont think that I have enough time to order it online : (
Old 05-20-2010, 09:14 PM   #6
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TextureBoy View Post
OH HOW CAN I FORGET ! THE GPU! Sorry let me add that in, the graphics card I'm planning to use is the EVGA GTX 470
I would highly highly recommend an 5850 flashed to a 5870 instead. Cooler, better bang for your buck, and has eyefinity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TextureBoy View Post
Also, my summatives are due next week and I dont think that I have enough time to order it online : (
Even with 2 day shipping it would be a LOT cheaper.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:28 PM   #7
Solid State Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibsonSGKing View Post

Even with 2 day shipping it would be a LOT cheaper.
I checked sites like NewEgg my friends recommended me that site and it wasn't much cheaper..unless you have other sites??
Old 05-20-2010, 09:34 PM   #8
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster

The 'egg is the one. That's pretty good if your local store is competitive with Newegg. If you are that uncomfortable with building it yourself, I'm sure the store will build it for you.
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:39 PM   #9
Daemon Poster

Where is the $1700 coming in? The stuff you have listed isn't that much O_o
Old 05-20-2010, 09:49 PM   #10
Solid State Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
The 'egg is the one. That's pretty good if your local store is competitive with Newegg. If you are that uncomfortable with building it yourself, I'm sure the store will build it for you.
I've researched prices the best stores in my area is Canadacomputers and TigerDirect. I also compared it with NewEgg. It's not much of a difference if there is one, and some prices are the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibsonSGKing View Post
Where is the $1700 coming in? The stuff you have listed isn't that much O_o

Oh crap, sorry I believe that it's around $1600. My mistake.