Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-26-2009, 01:14 AM   #21
Daemon Poster

Default Re: Building a Gaming Computer

I notice the Phenom II 955 is only $10 more than the Phenom II 940? Is it worth picking up with DDR2 RAM for now so in the future I can upgrade to DDR3 RAM without having to replace the MOBO?

Computear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:23 AM   #22
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computear View Post
I notice the Phenom II 955 is only $10 more than the Phenom II 940?
I noticed that too since I just ordered, I would just go with the 940, but it's really on how much you want to spend.

Is it worth picking up with DDR2 RAM for now so in the future I can upgrade to DDR3 RAM without having to replace the MOBO?
Personally, I would say NO. I mean why not just go with the DDR3 in the first place? Sure DDR3 will go down in price over time, but you will spend $60 now on DDR2 and soon in the future when you upgrade (Let's say DDR3 by then will be $60) You'll end up spending $120, basically it just depends on how much you wanna spend, and how long, if you do get the DDR2, do you plan to keep it before upgrading.

4 gigs DDR2 1066 RAM... 640 gig hard drive
Gigabyte Ud4P-MA790x
Whyfly?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:39 AM   #23
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyfly?? View Post

Hmm... I'm thinking of increasing my budget a bit for this project, maybe buying a few higher quality pieces at a time until I can get the full thing up and running. My laptop is currently drying out from a water spill, so I'm stuck on a computer from the stone ages, but I think I'll try to dig a bit deeper for this.

Given an increased budget, going for the AMD P2 955 w/ DDR3 RAM (6G maybe?) and going to upgrade to a 7200 1TB HDD, any other suggestions for upgrades that are significantly better for not *too* much more money?

Also, anybody can give me a link to a calculator where I can plug in specs to see what kind of PSU I'll need? I think the 600W will suffice, but I want to be sure.

Also added anti-static wrist straps, a LCD monitor, keyboard/mouse to my cart @ NewEgg... Anything else huge I'm missing? (besides the OS)

Also assuming an increased budget (and even with my lower budget ill be getting the P2 955) will that MOBO i have currently selected still be on par? should I upgrade that if I plan to go with the AMD P2 955 & 6G DDR3 RAM?

ANNDDDD when I get all the parts I'll probably need some of your guys help putting it together. I've upgraded & partially built / helped build a few rigs in the past, but this will be my first real quality rig, and first thing I'll be building from scratch. I'd kill myself if I did something stupid and ruined a part so I'll be going super careful on each part.

Thinking of ordering the Case soon so I can get it and see what I'll be working with, make sure before I order other parts that it will work for them. Shouldn't be any problems I've been matching specs/compatibilities and looking at extensive pics.

Computear is offline   Reply With Quote