Building custom computer need help!

Get a good case, one that is solid, has a good cooling system and not crowded. I'd look for one with a 120mm fan frron and back and a small one in the roof. You can't get much power supply for 20 b. be prepared to put out 75-125 for good one that is reliable and well regulated. Remember if you buy the cheapest stuff you can find you'll probaly be replacing it very soon. I'd do some window shopping at Newegg, make a list and then come on line for comments. Take a little time looking at motherboards and CPU's. You planning on AMD Athlon 64 or Intel P4, How much memory and what kind. These are the heart of your computer. Remember a good case with a good cooling system because you can always update whats in it but to have to replace it right away is throwing money away.I'm building a shooping list and my case choice is a Lian-Li P60 Plus, light weight, removeable Mobo mounting plate and lots of cooling. Its also a classic plain Jane, I don't like all that see thru stuff.Good luck on your venture.

bill gisse said:
1-- Take a little time looking at motherboards and CPU's.
2-- You planning on AMD Athlon 64 or Intel P4
3-- How much memory and what kind.
4-- good cooling system

Im goign to research alot before i buy anything.

1. i dont even know where to start looking for motherboards and what it dies or what i shouyld look for, same with CPU

2. most my computers that are pre built all have intel P4, i will probably go with that, unless the athlon is better for gaming, or somthing.

3. memory? umm more the better, are those those skinny flat stick things that are like $50 each? i have 2 in my computer now i think like 500 each or somthing or is that ram? IDK

4. cooling, there is this one case with a thermal read out that tells you how hot is it, and if they have that im guessing they would have some good fans so that it has a good read out.

what should i look for? MORE fans or BIGGER fans?
is 3 fans good?

Keep in mind im going to play video games i and im not a millionare :D

Thank U

First off, you need to decide what CPU to use before we even get to anything else. Athlon 64s are just better than the Pentium 4s in efficiency which result in cooler CPU and known as a gaming CPU. Obviously, the more expensive the processor, the better it gets.

Ok, so my new question is, which is mor expensive? P4 or the athalon one u are talking about?

also does the athalon compatable with windows XP? if i ask stupid questions, well, sorry in advance :D

so i only have the option of 2 CPUs? the P4 and the athalon?

are there like better or worse athalons and P4s?

PS GMT, some well most of thae stuff on that site is refurbished.
i dont have much money so i am goign to get some parts from there, the more expensive ones. i have no problem with refirbs, they have a one year warranty

Dirtfreak15 said:
Ok, so my new question is, which is mor expensive? P4 or the athalon one u are talking about?

also does the athalon compatable with windows XP? if i ask stupid questions, well, sorry in advance :D

P4s tend to be more expensive then Athlons based on direct comparison of performance vs price. Go with an AMD, I am 100% positive that you will NOT BE DISAPPOINTED.

You've received several replies now and probaly have a little better idea what your getting into. Still want to build your own? I've never built a computer but have worked on my own. Have built audio amplifiers, radio recievers and transmitters plus a few power supplys. My experience goes back to the vacuum tube era and when all home builts were hand soldered. retired in 66 and again in 88 and have had lots of time to read about cameras , computers and what ever took my interest. Right now I'm into computers and deisel trucks.
Would like to caution you on refurbished stuff. If its stuff yanked out of ols systems beware. If its stuff thats been returned to the manufacture for one eason or another also beware. It may have been some thing with a real failure that was repaired or something that just didn't work right all the time and the manufacture and sometimes the dealer just repackaged it and resold it. Not all people are honest so be sure whatever you buy is backed up in writting with a warranty and prefably the warranty be guaranteed by the dealer. If you have to deal with manufacture you will probaly get good service but the mailing back and forth is sometimes a hassle.
You appear to be set on Intel 's CPU. Give the AMD Athlon 64 a lot of thought, its cheaper, runs cooler and I think, a little faster. You also are leaning towards a gaming computer which costs more bucks to build. When you pick your mogherboard after deciciding Intel or AMD you have to decide on a SLI or non SLI Mother board. I would select a SLI Mobo withnthe knowledge a SLI qualified Power Supply is also desireable. I recommended 120mm fans because the they run slower, quieter and last longer. Your MOBO should have at least four fan sockets on it and stll you may need additional fan sockets from a bolt on fan control panel. Not trying to confuse you, just want you to know a little planning will save you some headaches later on. Again, good luck.

Dirtfreak15 said:

I personally feel AMD is cheaper for the performance they offer. All CPUs are compatible with Windows XP regardless if they are Intel or AMD or model. Yes, there are primarily two CPU manufacturers worth mentioning. Apple has their own G5 CPUs but not compatible with Windows based PCs.

They only CPU you should really focus on are the Athlon 64s and the more powerful Athlon 64 X2 (priced higher but better performance). Athlon 64s are like mainstream CPUs in which they are AMDs current standard. The older Athlon XP is being phased out so don't even look at those.

well i looked around for the athlon 64 X2s and they are like $200 on ebay,

are there any decent ones from this site?
http://www.geeks.com/products.asp?cat=15

i would like to try to get alot from them, maby i should go with P4 they seem to have a wide selection of them.

Looks like i need to go look around some more...

---------------
EDIT

K, I looked around, mostly on ebay and found a bunch of athlon 64s
It looks like they are about $60 - $300 and they range from about 2800 to 4000

what number would u suggest?
my friend said 3200 is pretty good and looks like they cost about $80

that sound good / right?

Back
Top Bottom