Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 11-11-2011, 11:21 AM   #11
In Runtime

Default Re: Building a computer, not new to it, but its been a while.

2x 4GB sticks is best option, Because occupying all 4 memory slots puts a lot of stress on the motherboard. If you felt the need for more memory they do make 2x 8GB RAM (but they are really expensive). The Difference between a mid town and a full tower, Is size of the motherboard that fits in it, there are M-ATX, ATX, E-ATX and XL-ATX and in a mid tower case only M-ATX and standard ATX motherboards fit in, Full size cases can fit the rest, But only a few full size cases can fit XL-ATX.

niiko101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:48 AM   #12
Fully Optimized

As for the cooling fan, no. Unless you plan on doing a lot of overclocking, there's just no reason to buy an aftermarket heatsink.

Card readers are pretty much universal, just find one that has a good rating and a good price and go for it.

Aside from height (and WEIGHT!) differences, components that fit into a mid tower fit into a full tower (and vice versa, with some exceptions such as large water cooling systems, or very long GPUs)

There's no reason to load all of the RAM slots up on a board until you absolutely need it. "Stressing" the board out is a point of contention, I've got a couple of systems that are fully loaded in that sense and they're fine. In the past, it used to be a concern. There's little to no reason to be running 16GB of RAM unless you're running a server or database app that needs all that room (or video editing or 3D rendering). 8GB is plenty, some folks still don't need more than 4GB, but 8GB is so cheap so... when in Rome...

Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:02 PM   #13
Solid State Member

Haha I fell in love with the looks of this case! Probably a waste of money for me to get a case like this, but dang its cool looking!! Newegg.com - Antec Lanboy air Blue Black / Blue ATX Mid Tower Computer Modular Case

I also thought this one seemed kinda cool after watching the video on it http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811322017

Also what do you guys think of this printer? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16828115634
bweibley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:42 PM   #14
Fully Optimized

Cases are up to users, 100% - it's all you on that one, if you think it looks cool and you can afford it, knock yourself out.

I'm not a good guy to ask on Inkjets. I've given up on the technology for black & white printing, and I rarely (once a year?) print color. I use an el cheapo Laserjet 1018 at home, and I love it.
Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:08 PM   #15
Solid State Member

I tried to order all the parts today, for some reason newegg declined me for a credit line. Im really shocked by this because I have a very good credit score, it was actually good enough to just purchase a house 6 months ago, no derogatory marks since purchasing the house, very odd... Looks like ill be buying a few parts at a time now :-( I wonder if id have any better luck getting a credit line from tigerdirect...
Old 11-13-2011, 02:18 PM   #16
Solid State Member

Also, would it be acceptable to use my old case for now until I get a new case later? Here is the case I have currently: X-Blade PC Gaming Pre-Mod ATX Medium Tower Case 859-A Black [859-A]

Im assuming that will work with the motherboard that we have picked out already? That would save a little bit more cash for now so that im at least able to get this computer up and running, and expand as I get extra cash