Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-19-2007, 05:03 PM   #11
Baseband Member

Default Re: Building a Computer

I am really confused, about what graphics card to buy now...I'm willing to spend up to 200 (give or take ten quid)..but I'm not sure whether its woth buying something like a 8800 GTS (http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...ct_uid=125117)... or to get a cheaper card, and upgrade at a later date, there is no rush...My friend suggested this one

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/119203

Help please guys

the_briton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 05:12 PM   #12
Fully Optimized

Yeah, you should probably wait a bit and go for a cheaper card right now, or if you could wait a month (which I know would be absolute torture) ATIs R600 series will be making it's market debut on May 14th, which will give you a bunch of new cards to choose from, which should out perform nvidia's offers. I think you have the right idea though, hold off on the 8800GTS, patience is a virtue .

| AMD 3800+ X2 Dual Core Processor | ASUS A8N-e nF4 Ultra | Hitachi Deskstar 250gb 3.0 gb/s | 1gb Corsair Value RAM 2x512 | eVGA geforce 6800GS | sound blaster live! 24-bit | NZXT Trinity Classic chassis | OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI PSU |
I was there. In the networking forum for the first time, and it was because.. of 341
kchi55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 05:15 PM   #13
Baseband Member

Thanks Kchi, you've been alot of help, one last thing - do you think the card I put up is a good one? I'll upgrade at a later date but for its money etc is that one good for the moment
Old 04-19-2007, 05:21 PM   #14
Fully Optimized

Well, last time I checked British pounds are worth like two american dollars or something? If that's so, then yeah, that's an alright deal. Sorry, I can't be more precise, too lazy to check out exchange rates, the fall for someone living in the United States to be posting on a England based forum.

Just another bit of info that might make you wait for ATIs R600 release is that your motherboard supports CrossFire, which is a dual GPU configuration specifically designed for ATI products, so putting off the GPU for now and staying away from the 8800GTS is definitely a very good idea since nvidia needs SLI capable motherboards to work it's dual GPU configurations.
| AMD 3800+ X2 Dual Core Processor | ASUS A8N-e nF4 Ultra | Hitachi Deskstar 250gb 3.0 gb/s | 1gb Corsair Value RAM 2x512 | eVGA geforce 6800GS | sound blaster live! 24-bit | NZXT Trinity Classic chassis | OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI PSU |
I was there. In the networking forum for the first time, and it was because.. of 341
kchi55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 05:23 PM   #15
Baseband Member

ha no problem thank you