Building computer

Copperhead posted some good components, but the list doesnt include cd/dvd drive, keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers.

here is a list i came up with, i went with intel's core duo, which is FAR better than the amd option listed however, if you are REALLY crunched for money then AMD is not a bad option at all.

here is the list:
INTEL CORE 2 DUO E6300 208
ASUS P5B LGA 775 MOBO 160
OCZ POWERSTREAM 520 WATTS 110
OCZ 1 GB (2X512 MB) RAM 110
EVGA 7600GT 256 MB 140
WESTERN DIGITAL 160 GB SATAII 67
COOLER MASTER ATX MIDTOWER 35
SONY 16X DVD COMBO DRIVE 54
VIEWSONIC 20" WIDESCREEN LCD MONITOR 310
LOGITECH 4 BUTTON USB MOUSE 16
LOGITECH MEDIA KEYBOARD 16
LOGITECH 2.1 32 WATT SPEAKER SYSTEM 33

TOTAL: $1259

this may cost more than the other system, but the performance leap is much greater than the dollar difference.
some things that i didnt include are:
a sound card, because you can use the onboard audio (which is better than most people think).
an operating system, this is up to you, whether you want windows XP home, proffessional...i say get windows xp pro it doesnt cost so much more and its a little better.
the video card i selected isnt the best one out there, the reason why i did that is because all the video cards on the market will become obsolete when a directX10 is released, if you look at the specs of any video card you'll notice it says driectX9, so while we all wait for the new cards to be released you can easily get your work done with the 7600gt.
the system i configured ony has 1 gb of ram, but its running ind dual channel mode, the reason why i did this is because its the cheapest option, and if you ever feel that your system is running a little slow, you can easily upgrade to 2 gb of ram.
the monitor i selected is supremely kick-ass and you'll have fun with it for years.
i have the higher model of that power supply and you wont be dissappointed with that.
if you can spend these extra couple of hundred dollars, you will be thankful later on.

Whats up with the expensive PSU's? Im getting a CoolMax CP-500T, and its $50/100 less than what you guys putting up there.

Also, what about input fans, output fans, a heatsinker and cpu fan?

its good to have a reliable psu, and the stock hsf (at least for AMD) are usually sufficient, unless you're gonna do some overclocking

I took Zaki's list and make a couple modifications:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 ($208)
Asus P5B LGA 775 Mobo ($160)
Western Digital 160 GB SATAII ($67)
OCZ 1 GB (2X 512MB) RAM ($110)
EVGA GeForce KO 7600GT 256 MB ($140)
CoolMax CP-500T 500W PSU ($50)
ThermalRight SI-128 Heatsinker ($50)
Delta Tri-Blade High Speed ($16)
Sanyo Delki San Ace [2x] ($22)
Cooler Master ATX Mid-Tower ($35)
Sony 16X DVD Combo Drive ($54)
Logitech 4 Button USB Mouse ($16)
Logitech Media Keyboard ($16)
Logitech 2.1 32 Watt Speaker System ($33)

Total: $976

Get a monitor at your own discretion. :)

Copperhead said:
its good to have a reliable psu, and the stock hsf (at least for AMD) are usually sufficient, unless you're gonna do some overclocking

Point I was making is that you could get a very good 500W PSU, like I mentioned for alot cheaper.

Zaki, I have a question... will the GeForce 7 series in general be compatible with DirectX 10 or is it only the 7600 models?

blazednotburned said:
well thanks guys so is the 7600 not support direct x 10

Youre misunderstanding, the 7600 will support DirectX 10, thats why hes advising you to get it.

Back
Top Bottom