Building an Android PC

TheCollector

Baseband Member
Just a thought... Android is pretty popular and is used more than any other OS.

Before I start talking about my build, I'm I correct in thinking that it was Acorn who invented the ARM processor?

Acorn was a British computing company way ahead of its time but was outsold by Apple and Microsoft, in a way Acorn has returned with a new product called the Raspberry Pi.

However I don't plan on starting my build with a Raspberry Pi lol.

I have some ideas of a build which consists of an empty mini AT PC case with a half decent ARM board that supports Android.

I think a PC running Android could make a good project.

Yeah sure enough you can slouch on a couch with a tablet but ain't nothing like an Android Desktop with a real keyboard and mouse.

What do y'all think and whats your opinion?

Last edited:
No need. Phoenix OS and Remix OS are based on Android and are for PCs. Based on Marshmallow I think.

Thats interesting I'll have to check those out... do you know if they can run Android apps such as Whatsapp and KIK with out issues?

I'm sure these are pretty cool OS developments I've never tried the ones you have said. I have tried others that have been very crashy and buggy, I hope those are better I'll have to try those out :)

Thats interesting I'll have to check those out... do you know if they can run Android apps such as Whatsapp and KIK with out issues?

I'm sure these are pretty cool OS developments I've never tried the ones you have said. I have tried others that have been very crashy and buggy, I hope those are better I'll have to try those out :)
It probably can run WhatsApp but you could never activate an account without a SIM card so it's pretty much useless.

It probably can run WhatsApp but you could never activate an account without a SIM card so it's pretty much useless.

I've got a smart phone but prefer the PC I don't know how whatsapp works but damn I need an app to talk to woman they always ask me if I got whatsapp or KIK I need to get back on track with the women man... :D

I've got a smart phone but prefer the PC I don't know how whatsapp works but damn I need an app to talk to woman they always ask me if I got whatsapp or KIK I need to get back on track with the women man... :D

The ladies may have to wait then. You need a numeric code sent by WhatsApp to your phone to activate it. And it has to be the same phone that requested the code. Doesn't work otherwise.

I have no idea how KIK works (or what it is), so maybe you'll have some luck there. I've been wanting to try Phoenix (or Remix, I can't tell them apart) so if you do try it please share your experience.

There are lots of Android "mini" PCs out there. I own several of them and have set them up as a desktop and used them with a mouse and keyboard and they are nothing to write home about. Android is a decent OS for a phone but (IMO) falls short as a desktop OS.

It's possible to attach a full size screen, mouse and keyboard to your Android cell phone if you want to see what it's like to have an Android desktop.

On the other hand, it would probably be a fun project to do, just don't expect to replace your current desktop with it.

I've never been a fan of emulators, a lot of the x86 Android based OS's I've tried never work either.

Those Android PC boxes look pretty good I might get one as there cheap.

Its so much fun designing and building your own.

I've been looking for an old 1980's beige mini computer case of some kind to put an Android board inside, Maybe I might find an old IBM mini case or something.

Back
Top Bottom