To build or Not to Build

ZachSand

Beta member
I'm conflicted between two ideas:

To buy a computer such as:
http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/C...r_Black_Pearl/
http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/G...nity_8800_Pro/
(I haven't really shopped around too much, but from my minimal knowledge of computers, specifically for gaming, these Desktops will take on any game with ease, even on ultra settings.)

Or.. To teach myself, via the internet, how to build a computer(PC Desktop):
-For gaming specifically
I have the time, and a budget up to roughly $1300, to put towards the project of building a computer. I've gathered that in building my own computer I will be able to customize it to my liking, and I will learn/know a lot more about my computer and computers in general.

My questions are:
Is it really worth the time and effort?
Will I save a noticeable amount of money by building my own equivalent of, or somewhere near, the computers I posted from Cyberpowerpc?

----
I've browsed newegg, ebay, and other various sites to look at different components, and after finding all the deals I can, i can't seem to beat this computer. http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/G...nity_8800_Pro/

..Can you?
(Feel free to take that as a challenge:p)

A little background information:I've played many computer games and a few MMO's. I'm mainly building this computer for gaming, and slightly for music creation. I already have a monitor that I enjoy, but I'll probably be investing in a new mouse, and definitely in a new keyboard. I'm a fairly intelligible person, so don't hold back on your wordy words, but do try to explain in a way an amateur could understand.

My current desktop is an HP Pavilion Slimline s3220n:
If curious of specs, it's completely standard - http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en...-81049432.html

Thank you ahead of time for looking over my thread, any feedback at all will be helpful.
good.gif

Hi there!

Had a quick browse of both the rigs you put links up to. Here's a couple of quick pointers to start.

On both rigs - You dont get a monitor provided (or from what I read of it anyway) It says ''Free upgrade from 22 inch monitor to 24 inch monitor'' but the 22inch monitor is not actually factored into the price, you have to but it first, and then you get the upgrade. So you can add an extra $150 or w/e onto the price.

Also on both rigs, you dont get Microsoft office (No Word, Excel etc) Dont know if that would be a problem for you, but something to consider. They do give you a freebie starter trial thing, but again you add $100 on for that 'privilege'

If you do go for either of these, make sure you read through all the selections and click everything to make sure you are getting all the freebies / upgrades etc they offer - some arent automatically selected.

On the second one you have selected, it is the i7 2600k Processor. In many of the benchmark tests the i5 2500k performs to a similar level in most tests - once it has been overclocked. If you are willing to do a bit of overclocking then you could get similar performance and save yourself $100 or so.. Be aware though - this may void any warranties that the company give you. Check with them first, and make sure you know what you're doing before hand!

You could honestly probably save a little bit building your own. Maybe a bit more if you switched to AMD.

The PC you listed as your current PC is ok. However, you are basically moving into a new era, and not much, if any, is going to be compatible with the new build (if you wanted to reuse parts).
Obviously peripherals like keyboard, mouse etc, and you could maybe take the OS over.

Ill have a go at a build later, but cant get on many websites / give links at the moment.

I already have a good monitor, and i did notice the monitor wasn't provided.

Not having Microsoft Office isn't a problem, I already have them available to me if need be.

I've already gone through once or twice.

I chose: for the Gamer Infinity 8800 Pro
  • The Freebie game, Shogun 2
  • [Free upgrade from GTS 450 1GB] NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA) (Saving me 120$)
  • 800 Watts - XtremeGear Gaming Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready (adding 27$)
  • 5% Instant Rebate for Non-Rush Delivery Order over $999 - Ships within 3 Weeks - Must Enter Coupon Code "NORUSH" during checkout(Taking off $57.40)
Grand Total: $1,090.60

I'd rather have the i7 2600k, over the i5 2500k overclocked.

I've thought about switching to AMD, but is it future safe? Meaning will I be able to upgrade it without having to get all new parts when "the new big thing" comes out.

I don't plan on salvaging anything from my current PC, I've talked to the local computer shop, and they might buy it.

Back
Top Bottom