Build New Computer But Won't Start

Actually, the buzzing only happens when I have the 12V PSU connector plugged into the motherboard. If pull it out, the PSU and CPU fans start spinning, but no LED lights from the case. The buzzing seems to come from where the CPU is located.

I am getting the same buzzing sound whether I run it from the case or from the motherboard box.

My motherboard is a Giga-byte 8S661FXMP-RZ. How can I check if my motherboard is broken?

It should be the oppise, if you pull these out they should stop I'd think... and it shouldn't work without the 12v connection if it has one... weird...

The buzzing could just be a faulty fan on the CPU. Or possibly power going to it from a faulty connection

The motherboard seems bust to me i'm afraid :(

Yes, you're right it doesn't work without the 12v connector. All it does is turn the fans on and nothing else. It says on the motherboard, the system will not start unless the 12v connector is connected.

I don't think it's the CPU fan since it spins just fine w/o the 12v connector.

Is there a way I can check if my motherboard is definitely the problem?

Well I think the buzzing suggests that and the way even when connecting the 12v connector, it doesn't power up.

If your sure all the cables are in right, the CPU, the memory, then it must be the motherboard causing the problem.

Does it beep at all? Try connecting the speaker wire to the motherboard if your case has one to check if it does to suggest something

I wouldn't know if there was a sure way of telling though I'm afraid. I mean it could be the CPU too, but the motherboard seems more the culprit

I had something like that when I got a bad 20 to 24 pin power cable from Ultra. What PSU do you have? 20 pin or 24 pin? Are you sure the sound is nto comming from the PSU?

You stated it beeped, what was the pattern of the beebing, i.e. continous short beeps, or long.short.short?? or any patern?

This tells you what's the problem.

Methost said:
I had something like that when I got a bad 20 to 24 pin power cable from Ultra. What PSU do you have? 20 pin or 24 pin? Are you sure the sound is nto comming from the PSU?

After checking it again, I found that buzzing is in fact coming from the PSU. It's an ATX-400W, 20pin. I doubt it's the 20 pin connector since it can power up the fans if I don't connect the 12V... But then again, I could be wrong..

So it's the PSU? Any suggestions before I get a replacement?

If the cpu fan is faulty or not connected properly you will get nothing on the boot. No beeps, nada.

Back
Top Bottom