Build New Computer But Won't Start

jococo

Beta member
Hello,

I just finished building myself a computer but it doesn't seem to work. When I push the power button on my case, the CPU fan spins and makes a buzzing sound for half a second before it stops. Nothing is connected except the CPU, the RAM and the front panel connectors of the case. I've tried reseating the CPU/heatsink and the RAM several times now, but it doesn't seem to help. I've also tried running it out of the case. I know it's not my PSU. I've tested it on an old computer and it works just fine.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Could it be that my CPU or motherboard is broken?

Thanks,
Jo

Your MOBO might be fried. You might have givin it a static shock when you installed it.

sometimes the mobo power cable isnt plugged in right. happened to me. no big worry tho just open ur pc and push it in and jiggle it a bit even if it looks plugged in.

Yeah.
You might find some boards also need an extra 12v conncetor which comes off the PSU too, as well as the long ribbon one. I know my ABIT AV8 does because this happened with mine until I connected this up and wahla. I also had a beeping though telling me something was up...well didn't need to be a genuis to know something was up :p

I don't know what most boards use the extra 12v plug for, but my AN8 used it to power the procoessor fan. My first test boot was without that connected. The comp worked fine but the processor fan wouldn't spin. It worked fine when I plugged it in.

Hmm..my whole computer wouldn't boot... it just beeped a few times and went off. The fans and everything did switch on...weird... I would definitely check for this though jococo

Do you smell anything when it is turned on? You know where your jumpers are located just look to see if the jumpers are in there correct default posution and there not broken or something.

I had a similar problem with my first comp until I realized that it wasn't properly spaced and connected to the case, you should check for that

if its an asus from newegg that u got recently it mite be busted. my friend had an asus that was just bad when he got it and newegg told them that they were getting alot of complaints from that asus board. not sure exactly which one it was tho

Back
Top Bottom