Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-12-2010, 12:07 AM   #61
Daemon Poster

Default Re: Build Guide for Teens

DONT BUY THAT PSU!!!!
i would only buy corsair, antec and thermaltake PSU's. the rest arent good at all

My Desktop: Intel Core i7-970@4.5GHz 1.39V Stable--ASUS P6X58D-E--6GB Supertalent Chrome (Elpida Hyper) 1800MHz 6-6-6-24--eVGA GTX 580--Intel 510 120GB--WD 2TB Caviar Black--Silverstone RV03-EK Supreme HF w/ Black Ice GTX 480--Koolance VID-NX580

My Laptop: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.4GHz--4GB DDR2 800MHz RAM--NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT-320GB hard drive
shozzking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:16 AM   #62
Fully Optimized

That entire post just screamed fanboy. Corsair, Antec, and Thermaltake aren't the only companies that manufacture quality PSUs.

dude_56013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:29 AM   #63
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelodeonn View Post
Thanks! That seems affordable and thrifty Is it worth it, though? I mean... 2.4 is slow. How fast do you think I can keep it going at a nice, cool rate?
That isn't good at all. That's the old phenom, not the new phenom II. It's cost/power ratio is terrible compared to others. A new Athlon II would be cheaper and faster than that. Since the i3 deal is apparently over, I'd go with the phenom II 550. It's only two cores but will still be faster.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103680

Do NOT get a diablotek PSU. The Cooler Master combo is better than that, though still not very good. If you're going to get something crappy, don't make it the PSU.
If something just has to be a bottom-of-the-barrel part, make it the case. That won't affect performance much.

What is your budget really? If you really only want to spend $350 or $300, say something, because the rig I posted up on the last page is very solid, and is well within the $400 budget you gave. Here it is again, though with a different mobo:
Quote:
CPU- Phenom II x2 550 ($99)

Mobo- ASUS M4A78LT-M LE ($70)
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...tCode=10011719

RAM- Kingston 2x1GB, DDR3 1066 ($47)
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...tCode=10007851

Hard Drive- Western Digital Caviar 600GB 16M ($56)
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=101259

PSU- Thermaltake W0070RUC ($37)
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...dlist=celebros

Case- Azza Orion 202 ($40) ($25 rebate) (Decent, but no NZXT)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811517003

DVD burner- Sony Optiarc ($26)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827118030

Total cost: $375 shipped, $350 with rebates, and so far is still better than anything else posted.
edit: It's capable of unlocking the other two cores as well.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:06 PM   #64
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to nickelodeonn

Quote:
Originally Posted by shozzking View Post
DONT BUY THAT PSU!!!!
i would only buy corsair, antec and thermaltake PSU's. the rest arent good at all
Really?! Cuz it got 5-stars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_56013 View Post
That entire post just screamed fanboy. Corsair, Antec, and Thermaltake aren't the only companies that manufacture quality PSUs.
That's what I'm thinkin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant Corn View Post
That isn't good at all. That's the old phenom, not the new phenom II. It's cost/power ratio is terrible compared to others. A new Athlon II would be cheaper and faster than that. Since the i3 deal is apparently over, I'd go with the phenom II 550. It's only two cores but will still be faster.

Do NOT get a diablotek PSU. The Cooler Master combo is better than that, though still not very good. If you're going to get something crappy, don't make it the PSU.
If something just has to be a bottom-of-the-barrel part, make it the case. That won't affect performance much.

What is your budget really? If you really only want to spend $350 or $300, say something, because the rig I posted up on the last page is very solid, and is well within the $400 budget you gave. Here it is again, though with a different mobo:

edit: It's capable of unlocking the other two cores as well.
I might get that CPU, but not anything else. I really like my build right now... I'm more concerned with the CPU value. That one looks amazing! Is it capable of unlocking more cores on the board I have listed? And how do I got about doing that? Is it less complicated than I think?

(This is the board I'm talking about)
GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

I really would go with what you're saying, but I don't know if I will anymore because the RAM is so dang expensive!! (DDR3) I mean, for $24 more, I can get 4GB (in 2GB STICKS!) of DDR2 RAM!
Old 01-13-2010, 05:03 AM   #65
Daemon Poster

You get 2GB more, but it'll run slower, and you can't really upgrade it anymore, which you'll probably want to do at some point. DDR2 is dead. As in, most manufacturers don't put it in new computers anymore. DDR3 is a newer, better technology.

And honestly, if you're like most people, you won't use much over 1GB anyway. I generally use just over 1gb on my laptop, and that's running Vista. Win7 takes less than Vista, and Ubuntu takes next to nothing...500MB at the most. You could actually get away with just 1GB total on Linux, though I wouldn't recommend it since you plan on switching to Windows.

Also, from what the comments say, that motherboard doesn't support windows 7 64 bit very well, which is what you'd want when you switch to windows. Food for thought.

As for the PSU, shozzking was a little fanboyish, but the diablotek psu you picked really isn't very good. That's not a good brand. Trust me, you do want to get a quality psu, even if everything else is crap. If the PSU fails, it can potentially fry every component in your computer.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:50 AM   #66
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by shozzking View Post
DONT BUY THAT PSU!!!!
That's just like saying buying a Dell is WAY better then building your own
Old 01-13-2010, 11:18 AM   #67
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holysky View Post
That's just like saying buying a Dell is WAY better then building your own
How?

Those 3 may not be the only companies that make good PSU's, but AFAIK they're the most well known, and for good reason.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:40 PM   #68
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to VINMAN46

Quote:
You get 2GB more, but it'll run slower, and you can't really upgrade it anymore, which you'll probably want to do at some point. DDR2 is dead. As in, most manufacturers don't put it in new computers anymore. DDR3 is a newer, better technology.

And honestly, if you're like most people, you won't use much over 1GB anyway. I generally use just over 1gb on my laptop, and that's running Vista. Win7 takes less than Vista, and Ubuntu takes next to nothing...500MB at the most. You could actually get away with just 1GB total on Linux, though I wouldn't recommend it since you plan on switching to Windows.

Also, from what the comments say, that motherboard doesn't support windows 7 64 bit very well, which is what you'd want when you switch to windows. Food for thought.

As for the PSU, shozzking was a little fanboyish, but the diablotek psu you picked really isn't very good. That's not a good brand. Trust me, you do want to get a quality psu, even if everything else is crap. If the PSU fails, it can potentially fry every component in your computer.

i wouldnt say ddr2 is dead its far from dead
VINMAN46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:54 PM   #69
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by VINMAN46 View Post
i wouldnt say ddr2 is dead its far from dead
It's been replaced. There's no good reason for a new computer to have it.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:08 PM   #70
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to nickelodeonn

Quote:

Thanks for all the advice! I won't be using it so often, so I don't think my PSU will overheat, if that's the problem. What does the PSU do that might fry the parts? I don't want to spend more on the PSU, I really like that $35 deal.. plus it has 5-stars. Oh, by the way, it won't let me edit it, but I chose 2GB 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM for $50 on TigerDirect, and I also changed the motherboard to one that supports Athlon II, DDR3, and AM3