Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-16-2010, 10:05 PM   #121
In Runtime
 
nickelodeonn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 285
Send a message via AIM to nickelodeonn
Default Re: Build Guide for Teens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantofhell View Post
Don't you think it would be a lot faster and easier to make and honest earning at a job?
I'm 13 years old. No luck for me! (legally)
__________________

__________________
:) Need a builder!
nickelodeonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:09 PM   #122
Fully Optimized
 
dude_56013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,262
Default Re: Build Guide for Teens

Mow lawns and shovel snow. It'll be a lot faster. Figure $20 at a time, it'll only take you a few snow storms to make your money.
__________________

dude_56013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:16 PM   #123
In Runtime
 
nickelodeonn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 285
Send a message via AIM to nickelodeonn
Default Re: Build Guide for Teens

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_56013 View Post
Mow lawns and shovel snow. It'll be a lot faster. Figure $20 at a time, it'll only take you a few snow storms to make your money.
Haha, true, true. I even live in Michigan! Problem is, everyone in my neighborhood has snowblowers, I don't, and everybody in my neighborhood is my age (and I mean EVERYONE!) and they're all going for that. I need to figure out something I can do that nobody else can...

I think that iPod thing sounds fun (for me). I can learn even more about how things work before I build a computer, and I can even continue that "business" afterward, too!

I heard of people who have very little technology background fixing up iPods they find on eBay, and making serious profit out of it. And, I bought a friend's before and repaired it, sold it, and made about $80 out of it for simply 30 minutes of repair time.
__________________
:) Need a builder!
nickelodeonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:22 PM   #124
Fully Optimized
 
dude_56013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,262
Default Re: Build Guide for Teens

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelodeonn View Post
Haha, true, true. I even live in Michigan! Problem is, everyone in my neighborhood has snowblowers, I don't, and everybody in my neighborhood is my age (and I mean EVERYONE!) and they're all going for that. I need to figure out something I can do that nobody else can...

I think that iPod thing sounds fun (for me). I can learn even more about how things work before I build a computer, and I can even continue that "business" afterward, too!

I heard of people who have very little technology background fixing up iPods they find on eBay, and making serious profit out of it. And, I bought a friend's before and repaired it, sold it, and made about $80 out of it for simply 30 minutes of repair time.
I don't want to crush all your hopes and dreams, but there are a LOT of people already doing that on eBay, too. And most have a LOT of feedback. It's very hard to start out on eBay when you have no business experience. It's better to keep things at a physical level (i.e. not selling online) until you have some demand in some way. Before you know it, a few mistakes later and you've lost all the money you thought you had to start your business and you're left with nothing.
dude_56013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:25 PM   #125
In Runtime
 
nickelodeonn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 285
Send a message via AIM to nickelodeonn
Default Re: Build Guide for Teens

Quote:
Originally Posted by VINMAN46 View Post
yah i3 is cheaper and its a mean cpu overclock like a bitch but a quad is good for multithreaded things
I will have to figure out what CPU works for my needs.... I am still trying to figure out if I should just invest more money, get a really powerful gaming machine, but spend more and risk it and possibly waste all my money because of static or a PSU blowing up! <<these things scare the living crap out of me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_56013 View Post
MB
CPU if you will be OCing and gaming in the future or this CPU if you will be running multi-threaded apps
RAM
HDD (or keep that one you initially found for $50 that was a 500GB, I don't care)
DVD
CASE
PSU

Total is around $415 give or take with shipping and after rebates.

I really am not sure why you are so concerned with this if you aren't building until March. Everything will be vastly different by then. Why don't you just save your money and build it then?...
Actually, I was just planning on updating this is often as I could, and to get feedback while I WAS saving my money. I don't care if it's what people consider "settling for such low end parts", when it really isn't that horrible. It will work, and everything is upgradeable! (DDR3 and AM3) So, I don't see a problem there.

The RAM is exactly what I have, except more expensive, diff brand, and 2 sticks instead of one.

Motherboard looks really nice! Might consider that one! Thanks!

I'm going to keep my HDD...

I will consider your suggestions into account for the motherboard and CPUs. Especially if they'll go down in price when I finally have enough money saved up.. (having a hard time doing this!)

Case and PSU, I've got this worked out. However, if I really do make some serious money fixing those iPods, I might invest more in a quality case and PSU. (Even though the one I have will work and is reliable -- the PSU at least --, I might want my case to be better built and look cooler than this)

Thanks for the suggestions! Do you think the 17" monitor will go down in price? Because it's at 60 right now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_56013 View Post
I don't want to crush all your hopes and dreams, but there are a LOT of people already doing that on eBay, too. And most have a LOT of feedback. It's very hard to start out on eBay when you have no business experience. It's better to keep things at a physical level (i.e. not selling online) until you have some demand in some way. Before you know it, a few mistakes later and you've lost all the money you thought you had to start your business and you're left with nothing.
Well it's not technically a business! (i put it in quotes!) I didn't mean it like that: it's not a repair service. Instead, it's finding broken iPods on Craigslist from stupid people who are too lazy to buy a $20 new LCD and sell it ignorantly for $80, and make a nice profit until I have enough money for a computer build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by berry120 View Post
It does seem to me that people here are pushing the "if you get a cheap PSU it WILL blow up" line - which is simply untrue.
I know! It's stressful, and it makes it seem like I'm doing this for nothing, because it will blow up! I will invest in a better PSU, though. I changed that in one of my recent posts and the very first post.
__________________
:) Need a builder!
nickelodeonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:38 PM   #126
Daemon Poster
 
VINMAN46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,123
Send a message via AIM to VINMAN46
Default Re: Build Guide for Teens

yah people like to string the truth (just made that line up) i used a powersupply that came with my case for about 3 years nothing happned
VINMAN46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:38 PM   #127
Fully Optimized
 
dude_56013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,262
Default Re: Build Guide for Teens

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelodeonn View Post
Actually, I was just planning on updating this is often as I could, and to get feedback while I WAS saving my money
That's fine, but people will lose interest fast if you aren't going to order anything. If you've noticed, the attitude in this thread has gone a little sour because some of us (including me) don't think you are taking some of the things we say seriously (I'll address that momentarily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelodeonn View Post
I don't care if it's what people consider "settling for such low end parts", when it really isn't that horrible.
The build that I put together is a quality build. People are telling you that you are settling for low end parts when you start saying you don't care about what your PSU is. Get something quality. I mean, really, are you going to waste your money by risking all of your components on a cheap PSU? Even if it DOESN'T take out any thing else when it decides to give way/blow, it'd be cheaper in the long run if you buy a quality one to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelodeonn View Post
It will work, and everything is upgradeable! (DDR3 and AM3) So, I don't see a problem there.
There isn't a problem. But you should get something halfway decent so you have some usable time (time to use whatever you buy before it becomes old and slow) to save up some money to upgrade again. It's why I recommended what I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelodeonn View Post
Motherboard looks really nice! Might consider that one! Thanks!
I just put it in my friend's build. It went down in price. It's a wonderful, and beautiful motherboard.


Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelodeonn View Post
I'm going to keep my HDD...
That'll be fine.


Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelodeonn View Post
Case and PSU, I've got this worked out. However, if I really do make some serious money fixing those iPods, I might invest more in a quality case and PSU. (Even though the one I have will work and is reliable -- the PSU at least --, I might want my case to be better built and look cooler than this)
Unfortunately, my friend, you don't have that worked out until you consider a quality PSU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelodeonn View Post
Thanks for the suggestions! Do you think the 17" monitor will go down in price? Because it's at 60 right now!
No. Prices on monitors have been holding steady for quite some time. You could always just grab a $5-10 CRT somewhere to hold you over til you have money to purchase a flat screen. It's another purchase that I'd suggest saving up for so that you can get a very nice one, instead of wasting $60 and then wishing you didn't buy it 6 months later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelodeonn View Post
Well it's not technically a business! (i put it in quotes!) I didn't mean it like that: it's not a repair service. Instead, it's finding broken iPods on Craigslist from stupid people who are too lazy to buy a $20 new LCD and sell it ignorantly for $80, and make a nice profit until I have enough money for a computer build.
Things don't always go as planned.
dude_56013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:41 PM   #128
Daemon Poster
 
VINMAN46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,123
Send a message via AIM to VINMAN46
Default Re: Build Guide for Teens

you could always sell things for cash i sold my ps3 and xbox 360 for 500 and bought myself a computer make sacrafises
VINMAN46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:50 PM   #129
In Runtime
 
nickelodeonn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 285
Send a message via AIM to nickelodeonn
Default Re: Build Guide for Teens

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_56013 View Post

The build that I put together is a quality build. People are telling you that you are settling for low end parts when you start saying you don't care about what your PSU is. Get something quality. I mean, really, are you going to waste your money by risking all of your components on a cheap PSU? Even if it DOESN'T take out any thing else when it decides to give way/blow, it'd be cheaper in the long run if you buy a quality one to begin with.

Things don't always go as planned.
Yes. I did notice the sourness.

I didn't say it wasn't quality! I liked it. I think I'll stop posting if it's making people angry :-/

I am getting something quality. If you didn't just jump to conclusions you would have seen what I said! I'm selling the one that comes with my case, and buying a new Ultra LPS series one, that I have heard many good things about.

I'll come back in 2 or 3 months, when I have the money I guess.
__________________
:) Need a builder!
nickelodeonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:52 PM   #130
Fully Optimized
 
dude_56013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,262
Default Re: Build Guide for Teens

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelodeonn View Post
Yes. I did notice the sourness.

I didn't say it wasn't quality! I liked it. I think I'll stop posting if it's making people angry :-/

I am getting something quality. If you didn't just jump to conclusions you would have seen what I said! I'm selling the one that comes with my case, and buying a new Ultra LPS series one, that I have heard many good things about.

I'll come back in 2 or 3 months, when I have the money I guess.
No, that's not the message I was trying to send.

Stick around and read other threads while you are waiting. When you have questions, come back to this thread and ask them. There's no such thing as a dumb question. Well, unless it's something you can easily google to find haha. We want you to stick around here at CF, we always enjoy new members!
__________________

dude_56013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0