Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-25-2009, 08:38 PM   #1
Fully Optimized
 
Jesusfrk611's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: US
Posts: 2,193
Default Build for a friend

My friend wants a new system and I talked him into letting me build it for him as to opposed to buying a prebuilt since he doesn't think he can build it. As long as he can talk his dad into letting me build it that is. I have to lol at him because he thinks it's better to have a Best Buy warranty than a manufacturer warranty on every part or something, besides the fact that I want only quality parts, so it should last awhile anyway...

So I came up with an initial build and changed it around a little since. Here's the current one I have it on. He's on a budget of around $550. And I'm right at about $550 with this build. I haven't built a new system since I built mine in October 2007, and a lot has changed since... I didn't really have to worry about budget so much for mine, so I went Intel. This is my first AMD build. and would be my second build I've done of all brand new parts. I've built several P4's from scratch, but they were all used parts.

LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner SATA $24.99
GIGABYTE GA-MA78G-DS3HP AM2+/AM2 $24.99
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4830 $99.99
RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-530SS 530W $49.98
G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 $39.99
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000 $55.99
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 OEM $104.99
Western Digital 250GB 16mb cache SATA HDD - currently owned, $30 to him
A case he picked out, but I couldn't find it (he'll have to show me again), around $40

Since I already have a 250GB HDD sitting around I'm not currently using (got replaced by a 500GB HDD), I am selling mine to him for $30 to save him about $20. For the PSU, I was going with the same one I got in mine, an Antec Trio 550W, but I went cheaper, because it was starting to cost too much. I found the Raidmax with decent ratings, modular power cables, decent price, and LEDs (since he wants them). He won't be doing overclocking so he doesn't need more than a stock HSF I wouldn't think. He said he might have more money to work with, but I'm still trying to figure out if he is even allowed to let me build it first before I try to build something above his budget. You could give me good arguments to use with his dad to get him to go custom built as well, lol.
__________________

Jesusfrk611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:26 PM   #2
Site Team
 
Lowndsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,607
Default Re: Build for a friend

tell his dad you are a world famous computer genius?
__________________

__________________
JogaBonito1502: I guess Microsoft is really not to blame. Sorry!

KMATB
Lowndsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:29 PM   #3
Fully Optimized
 
Jesusfrk611's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: US
Posts: 2,193
Default Re: Build for a friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowndsey View Post
tell his dad you are a world famous computer genius?
lol, somehow I don't think that one would quite work...
Jesusfrk611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:33 PM   #4
Site Team
 
Lowndsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,607
Default Re: Build for a friend

well there goes all my ideas then
__________________
JogaBonito1502: I guess Microsoft is really not to blame. Sorry!

KMATB
Lowndsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:46 PM   #5
Fully Optimized
 
Jesusfrk611's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: US
Posts: 2,193
Default Re: Build for a friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowndsey View Post
well there goes all my ideas then
lol, thanks anyway...
Jesusfrk611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:49 PM   #6
Fully Optimized
 
wol-va-rine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,104
Default Re: Build for a friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesusfrk611 View Post
My friend wants a new system and I talked him into letting me build it for him as to opposed to buying a prebuilt since he doesn't think he can build it. As long as he can talk his dad into letting me build it that is. I have to lol at him because he thinks it's better to have a Best Buy warranty than a manufacturer warranty on every part or something, besides the fact that I want only quality parts, so it should last awhile anyway...

So I came up with an initial build and changed it around a little since. Here's the current one I have it on. He's on a budget of around $550. And I'm right at about $550 with this build. I haven't built a new system since I built mine in October 2007, and a lot has changed since... I didn't really have to worry about budget so much for mine, so I went Intel. This is my first AMD build. and would be my second build I've done of all brand new parts. I've built several P4's from scratch, but they were all used parts.

LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner SATA $24.99
GIGABYTE GA-MA78G-DS3HP AM2+/AM2 $24.99
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4830 $99.99
RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-530SS 530W $49.98
G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 $39.99
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000 $55.99
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 OEM $104.99
Western Digital 250GB 16mb cache SATA HDD - currently owned, $30 to him
A case he picked out, but I couldn't find it (he'll have to show me again), around $40

Since I already have a 250GB HDD sitting around I'm not currently using (got replaced by a 500GB HDD), I am selling mine to him for $30 to save him about $20. For the PSU, I was going with the same one I got in mine, an Antec Trio 550W, but I went cheaper, because it was starting to cost too much. I found the Raidmax with decent ratings, modular power cables, decent price, and LEDs (since he wants them). He won't be doing overclocking so he doesn't need more than a stock HSF I wouldn't think. He said he might have more money to work with, but I'm still trying to figure out if he is even allowed to let me build it first before I try to build something above his budget. You could give me good arguments to use with his dad to get him to go custom built as well, lol.
here are a few questions and suggestions...

dvd burner $4 less...

where are you getting $24.99 for that motherboard...? it's listed at $85.99 before shipping...

ASUS 9600GT for about $20 less, the shipping is a wash because neither one has free shipping and should be the same, if he doesn't have a big monitor this should be fine for him...

the psu may be a little lacking, Raidmax is pretty much known to be a step above generic psus and a few steps below the more well known/respected brands, but the odds are it will power your system just fine...

the G.Skill RAM is a good get at $40 shipped...

if you want to upgrade any parts and spend a few bucks more you could just skip the OS and install Windows 7 and run that for the next few months, meanwhile he could save up his $$ for the OS until then...
__________________
MY INTARDNET BEAST ■ Antec 300 ■ Q6600 B3, 2.8GHz @ 1.325v ■ MSI X48C Platinum ■ Kingwin XT-1264 ■ Visiontek HD 4870 512MB ■ 4x1GB Transcend aXeRam DDR3-1800 @ 1400MHz ■ WD Raptor (160GB) ■ Western Digital (250GB) ■ Samsung (640GB) ■ Seagate (500GB) ■ WD Caviar Green (1TB) ■ OCZ ProXStream 1kw ■ Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum ■ JVC HA RX900 ■

ME ■ I am bald and my head is lumpy...fear me ■
wol-va-rine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:57 AM   #7
Fully Optimized
 
Jesusfrk611's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: US
Posts: 2,193
Default Re: Build for a friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wol-va-rine View Post
dvd burner $4 less...
That's an IDE drive. I know the mobo can take it, but I don't want to clutter up the case with large wires. I can get a SATA drive and the wires are smaller. Also, the reason I picked that one is it's the best rated one on Newegg. I had that very Lite-On drive on my parents build I made them and it crapped out anyway, so I kinda think I can go $4 more for a quality drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wol-va-rine View Post
where are you getting $24.99 for that motherboard...? it's listed at $85.99 before shipping...
lol, oops. I was copying prices and I guess when I went to copy that price, it didn't copy and pasted the same price as the optical drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wol-va-rine View Post
ASUS 9600GT for about $20 less, the shipping is a wash because neither one has free shipping and should be the same, if he doesn't have a big monitor this should be fine for him...
Is the 9600 about equal to the 4830? I haven;t been in the market for a new system for so long that I really know nothing about graphics cards again...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wol-va-rine View Post
the psu may be a little lacking, Raidmax is pretty much known to be a step above generic psus and a few steps below the more well known/respected brands, but the odds are it will power your system just fine...
I'll see if i can find something a little better, if not I'm sure the Raidmax will be ok.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wol-va-rine View Post
if you want to upgrade any parts and spend a few bucks more you could just skip the OS and install Windows 7 and run that for the next few months, meanwhile he could save up his $$ for the OS until then...
[/QUOTE]
I wouldn't really know how to get a "legal" copy of Windows 7. I know I can torrent it and use someone else's key or something, but I think for my friend, I'd rather have an OS that's more tested so he's not coming back to me every other day saying something doesn't work...
Jesusfrk611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:46 AM   #8
Golden Master
 
worshipme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,603
Default Re: Build for a friend

Quote:
Is the 9600 about equal to the 4830? I haven;t been in the market for a new system for so long that I really know nothing about graphics cards again...
Not really, the HD 4830 is as fast as or maybe a little faster than the 9800GT. But if he's only got a 15" monitor, the 9600 would be fine.
Quote:
I'll see if i can find something a little better, if not I'm sure the Raidmax will be ok.
The StealthXStream 500W is only $25 after MIR, that would be a lot better than the Raidmax.

As for his dad, surely you can just sit him down and explain the facts to him. Like how the quality of parts is much higher, and each part comes with a manufacturer's warranty etc.
__________________
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 4.0GHz + TU120E lapped - MSI 770-CD45 AM3 - 2x2GB OCZ DDR3 1333MHz - Sapphire HD 4870 - Samsung Spinpoint 500GB 7200RPM 16MB cache HDD - Tagan TG600-BZ Piperock - (Currently open test bed) - Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit.
worshipme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:51 PM   #9
Fully Optimized
 
Jesusfrk611's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: US
Posts: 2,193
Default Re: Build for a friend

Alright, he's saying I can build it.

I found this PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817153052 It looks decent. I looked at the StealthXStream 500W, but it's out of stock right now... I might be ordering within the next week, so I dunno when it will be back in.

For the graphics card. He's doing some mid level gaming, but even so he wants a more top of the line type system for what his money can get. I'm pretty sure he;s getting a fairly large monitor as well. Couldn't tell you what size, but larger than 19"... What to get for that graphics card wise? I'm still thinking the 4830...

Anything else you see that could use a change?
__________________

Jesusfrk611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0