Bugus Windows Xp Pro Disc.

wozelbeak

Daemon Poster
my sister has purchased a genuine copy of windows xp from a computer fair.
it booted up ok and installed ok. the key for it was accepted as genuine ect ect. now when she tries to use her windows update programe, it checks her key for authentication and says that it has failed. it has already installed service pack 2 and a shed load of other updates, so why don't it work now?
my own xp is set to automaticaly update and does so without a problem.
my question is this, if she rings microsoft and her copy turns out to be a bootleg job, will she be open to prosecution?
i have looked at her key and it is not one of the familiar corperate ones that about 1 in ten people use. i found the microsoft web page for removing and re-entering your key. followed the instructions and entered her key, it said that it was a genuine key and was valid. so then i tried going to the "check validation page and tested it, again it failed. she paid £100.00 for it and can't get the guy who sold it to answer his phone. it looks absolubtly genuine to me, i can't see any difference in the packaging from my one.
could someone have used the key before she got it?
if so why did it work, and load the o/s and service pack 2?
woz

Sorry to say this, but it looks to me like it was fake all along.

I think somehow MS were just a little slow in flagging it up, or the key was later reported as being dodgy.

It probably only accepted the Key because during installation it doesn't check with the Genuine Advantage System, because it cannot. What do you mean it installed SP2? It shouldn't have done that...

But yeah, as Mal said, it is almost certainly not Genuine. Hopefully she didn't pay too much for it!

I think u can do this thingy with microsoft.
If the cd and everything else looks like it's real u can give it to microsoft and they give u a new one with the key.
U also have to tell them where u got it.

I think I found this out while my cd key failed validation, and then there was something like what should I do or something like that. U might find it if u spend time looking for it.

No it might be a real copy. Hvae you activated it through the activation key thing in the bottom right hand side of the screen(by the clock)?

your can only reinstall windows XP 6 times. after that your key becomes invalid. you can phone in and get it activated 4 times after the 6. after that you must buy a new copy of XP.

Back
Top Bottom