Budget or Luxury

ssc456

Fully Optimized
right i built my pentium D rig back in march and yes i know it was foolish i shud have got a C2D

but the thing im gonna ask you is do you think i (or people) should splash out on an expensive rig or buy a cheap 1 then a year later get another cheap 1 which will last longer ?

i mean what do you think will last longer in terms of still being able to cut it building a £800 rig now ?

or building 1 £400 rig now and then another £400 rig in another year ?

the reason im asking is that at the moment i have a pentium D 915 with 2Gb 533 Mhz RAM and im thinking of upgrading CPU RAM and processor to .....

well i havent decided yet i know weather to go all out and get a C2Q with Asus PK5 and 4Gb DDR2 800Mhz.

or leave it a few months between like 3 - 9 months and then buy a cheapish rig then coz at the moment my penitum D does me just fine.

so ill ask in the poll what you think is bets 1 X £800 rig or 2 X £400 rigs over like 12 months.

or for the americans 1 X $1600 rig or 2 X $800 rigs

Well it depends.

If you only want to spend £400 on a machine, you won't get completly up to date parts, so it won't last as long,

BUT, if you spend all your money (i.e £800) on a rig, it has newer features and implementations to make it last longer, i.e, 1333mhz motherboards for when newer processors come out, and DDR3 supporting motherboards for when that comes into play.

I do think in 2 heads though as buying 2 £400 rigs over time, would probably save you some cash in the long run, and less dissapointment, because technology travels very fast.
Your theoretical £800 rig, though completly in sync right now with the world, would soon lose sync as new technologies replace ones your new motherboard, etc supported in the first place, to make updating hard in the long run (something you'd expect spending a lot of money on, would stop happening)

So in conclusion, though I said the £800 rig, I would personally opt for 2x £400 rigs, since you wouldn't be as dissapointed in the long run when you can't update a part anymore that is up to date with new technology, since you'll have enough cash to then buy a new rig that offers new technology once again, until that is once again replaced.

The £800 rig, would though, no denying, offer the most entertainment as of now, and you'd feel more in balance with tech.
Meanwhile, the cheaper rig, may not run programs as fast as you'd like.

its complicated aint it lol.

coz with £800 i could get a nice C2Q Q6600 with 4Gb RAM and very decent motherboard SATA drive DVD RW drive and everything but with £400 i could prob get a C2D 6320 2Gb RAM and nice motherboard and then in a years time get another half decent rig.

i mean in terms of multi tasking in 1 go if i was to buy 2 rigs for £800 i have no doubt it will be able to do more than 1 £800 rig.

but over time things may be different

but i dunno id probably go for 2 £400 rigs myself

im on bout getting a new motherboard aswell.

im thinking if the upgrade to C2Q Q6600 4GB DDR2 800 Mhz RAM and a decent mobo will cost me aroun d £400 but im thinking weather i shud keep my pentium D and just build another rig in a few months time

2 x £400.

spend the first £400 upgrading the pc you have. a new processor, vid card, ram. the rest should be fine. then spend the £400 upgrading parts later on.

I said 2*400 rigs because after your finished with the first one you can sell it for maybe 200-300 so the next rig would only cost you 100-200 quid, a much more sound investment.

Bo selecta

IMO, what you should do is to get the board, CPU, and RAM for the new build. Then, build it with the drives and all you have from the ancient one. Then, buy the missing stuff for your Pentium D. It can't beat C2Ds, but is still worth to run.

Back
Top Bottom