Budget or Luxury

I converted into dollars, hence why you see a dollar sign and not a pound sign :rolleyes:

O right then .
For about £400 you can still get a decent build . Maybe not the best but it would do the job very well
If you buy an £800 rig then you are gonna get a very good system . Very high end and great for gaming
It all depends though , if you are like me and dont game then you dont realy need quad core , 4 gigs of ram and a 8800 you will be better off just getting a £400 rig wwhich will prolly do you for a good 5 years
Whereas if you game a £400 rig might last 12months top before its time to upgrade . But by selling the £400 rig for £250-£300 the new rig isnt gonna cost as much and so on and so on every 12months selling the old rig

A quad core wouldn't be great for gaming at the moment anyway. A dual core would be more than enough.

For people that use 3D software (like me) and do audio/video editing and the like, a quad core will give almost double the performance of a core 2 Dual.

Its most likely these days, for the video card to cost the most money in your system, unless you go for the apsolute top of the line CPU, which even with a massive budget would be a waste of money (overclocking anyone?)

Well, I designed this PC for less than £400

Intel CPU Core2Duo E4400 2x2GHz -
£78.26

Asus P5VD2-MX SE LGA775 P4M890 -
£31.08

OCZ 2GB Kit (2x1024) Value Pro DDR2 PC5400 667Mhz Dual Channel Memory -
£58.99

SoundBlaster Audigy SE 7.1 surround sound Internal oem -
£16.69

INNO3D GeForce 7900GS 256MB DDR3 PCI-E
£112.80

120GB Seagate Barracuda® 8MB Hard Disk Drive 7200rpm ATA100 oem -
£29.96

NEC Optiarc AD-7170A-0B Black 18x DVD ±RW/RAM DL oem (Drive only) Multiwriter -
£17.95

650W Silent ATX PSU +SATA cable 12cm fan 24 pin -
£22.31

Coolermaster Elite 330 Black/silver midi tower case micro ATX NO PSU -
£25.20

Total = £393.24

Not bad really, huh? :) There pretty good parts too.

Low peformance CPU, cheapass motherboard, who knows what kinda PSU, small hard drive.

Doesn't satisfy the current needs of me or most people I know.

my point exactly kage but DJ Chris still thinks its not enough for a half decent computer then if you use that computer for 6 - 12 months you could probably sell it for £200 maybe more.

so then you could either have £600 for the new build or build the new 1 for £200 so .....

anyways my point is £400 is easily enough for a decent computer nowa days,

but my question is what computer is still gonna be able to cut it in 2 or 3 years time ?

my theory is that if you spend £800 on a build now then in a years time you could have probably built in for £400 or so so technically they should last about the same time.

Low peformance CPU, cheapass motherboard, who knows what kinda PSU, small hard drive.

Doesn't satisfy the current needs of me or most people I know.

Just cos it isnt good enough for your needs dosent mean its cheapass . For a lot of people that machine would be extremely powerfull . I would certainly take that rig over my current

DJ-Chris, that processor could be overclocked, as long as the motherboard wasn't too cheap.
Heck, if I spent only £30 on the memory, and got 1GB instead of 2, I could get a better motherboard and overclock it more.

That system has a lot of potential for only £400

For an extra £15 or so, just pushing past £400, you could get a 250GB hard drive:

250GB Seagate Barracuda Retail 16MB Cache 7200rpm ATA100 Hard Disk Drive -
£37.01

@ DJ Chris i think your standards are too high the rig kage put together is better than my rig and would play most if not all games that are out at the moment and probably continue to play games for a long time .

maybe not on the highest settings but for most people id say that would be a very nice machine unlike your previuos statement

Back
Top Bottom