Are BT breaking the law???

johnsonuk

Beta member
Are my ISP breaking the law???

in december i upgraded from the 2MB broadband to the 8MB service after i recieved a phone call from them promoting their new service in my area. ever since i installed their 'home hub' i never recived more than 2MB. after ringing the technical help for about the 5th or sixth time they found out there was a problem with their wholesale details for my account. this was apparently fix but i never noticed the difference. after 4 months i now want to cancel the service but they wont let me cancel without charging me. as they claim they held thier end of the bargain by providing UP TO the 8MB they said they would. is there a law that states they must provide at least a certain amount for it to be acceptable????

thanks

well it can be justified as false advertisement but if they are tried the company will probably bring out a contract stating that you might get 8mb in certain areas. :rolleyes: typical fine print crap.

Since they never guaranteed you 8mb speeds you're pretty much screwed. And you got ripped off by paying more money for the same speed. Gotta watch out for that stuff.

ask for the papers you signed if they cant provide them then yes they are breaking the law in the US i belive. all you would have to do is not give them a check then sign up for a different service

get ride of em
pure crap if they ait helpin
u got to threatin to sue and shit thats the best wya to deal with these people
take newsday for exspamle
didnt want to keep paying 1.50 per paper called em up said hey guys i like your paper
but to much money
offered right away .70 per paper =)
threatin em
ull be suprised wta they do

rudster816 said:
ask for the papers you signed if they cant provide them then yes they are breaking the law in the US i belive. all you would have to do is not give them a check then sign up for a different service
I doubt it. It's probably in the Terms of Service that if you use their service, the agreement is that the speed is up to 8 mbps. Are you sure it's 8 megabytes per second?? Because it could be 8 megabits, which is really 1 megabyte.

And esa, that's how little kids solve problems, by threatening people. Doesn't matter if it works better sometimes. If you are the opposite way, and try to get people to do things by being nice, it usually works out much better in the long run.

If you signed a contract of some sort, there's no way out in simple terms. Always read the small print!

the ISP is doing NOTHING wrong. They said they can provide up to 8mbps, but the server on the other side you are connecting to can't necessarily take your connection to the full potential. And keep in mind that over a distance, the signal looses its signal so you won't get the full 8mbps. Sometimes you will get the full bandwidth that they allow, but just for web surfing and all that, it won't make a difference.

Tell you what, use a download manager and you will really see your numbers go up when downloading. Keep in mind that some servers cap your speed. For me, i use comcast and i've gotten 1.2MB (yes megabytes) per second before with a download manager. Oh, and IE can handle larger files better than Firefox.

it does seem a bit false, but it's perfectly legal...

assuming that none of your neighbours are using the internet you will get the 8MB that you thought that you'd get.

but since they are then you'll never actually achieve that, it's called contention.
basically they provide a line that is more than capable of providing 8MB, and then they put a load of users on it so that you'll never actually get 8MB.

the contention ratio is a well known thing in ISP terms and conditions.

when you 'upgraded' you also renewed your contract for another year.
but the upgrade was free at the time wasn't it. (I know this because I took the same upgrade from my dads old 512k line!).

in short...

your service was upgraded.

you signed a new contract by agreeing to have the change.

they are providing their service.

and you are seeing a speed improvement to your old 2mb line would have shown anyway.

as ownage said, distance from the exchange can make all the difference, if you live in a part of town away from the exchange the signal has further to go and won't be as fast...

it is unfortunate, but it's a case of them being right, and you having to pay if you wish to cancel!
so your probably better to start looking around at what people are offering for the next 8 months. whilst your contract is expiring.

Back
Top Bottom