Broke my USB flash drive. Help needed.

Speakeasy

Beta member
Hi.

I've posted this issue on another computer forum, unfortunately I haven't received an answer regarding the issue. Any help would be kindly appreciated. I also apologize in advance if this is in the wrong section.

What happened was that I dropped my Macbook on the hard floor with my USB flash drive connected, by tripping over a wire. Luckily, it was out of batteries and not on. The Mac started up (although it has a nice dent in it). The flash drive snapped on the four pins that connect it. I'm a novice with this stuff and have data on there I want to back up.

The metal part separated from the board. The pins also have this brown stuff on them (solder, glue maybe?) I tried holding chip to the pins while it was plugged in which didn't work. I have no soldering iron, nor experience with one. Is there anything I could possibly due to just back up my data without a soldering iron or having to pay somebody?

So basically, the metal part that plugs into the USB port got separated from the board. All four pins are still intact and on the metal part, but they were pulled off the board. It's an 8 Gigabyte Sandisk Cruzer.

As I mentioned, any help at all would be very much appreciated.

it's not that difficult to use a soldering iron. you could use glue, but the glue should not block the signal.
also the signal might snap because of file copying might heat the glue loose again.
it will be best if you soldered it. it's not much more difficult then gluing it, i promise.

Back
Top Bottom