Break it in?

Ranbinous

Solid State Member
So I'm sitting at home waiting for my new equipment to get here and it hits me...do I have to break my processor in?

I just ordered all the parts necessary to build my own computer from newegg and it'll be here monday and I'll be building it monday. That is besides the point, however.

I am a hardcore multitasker. I do all kinds of things at once...photoshop, 3D, internet, games, programming, website design, etc. Do I have to break my processor in? I am getting an AMD 64 3500 VENICE CHIP PROCESSOR. I don't want to burn up my processor when I get it by going into all these things at once thinking, "Oh this is sooooo cool!!!!" when the fact is I needed to break it in.

If a more detailed version of my computer specs is needed they are as follows:

ANTEC FULL TOWER 500W (CONSERVATIVELY RATED) TRUE POWER PSU
ASUS A8N-SLI DELUXE MOTHERBOARD
AMD 64BIT 3500 VENICE CHIP PROCESSOR
2 GIG CORSAIR TWINXDDR400 PC3200 RAM
SEAGATE BARRACUDA 250GIG 7200RPM HARDDRIVE
EVGA GEFORCE 6600 128MB PCIe x16 VIDEO CARD
XP PRO W/ SP2

So, one last time I will say my question again...do I need to break my processor in?

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond!!!

~xombic

I would give it a day or two of esy processing to let everything get situated. May not be absolutely necessary, but just to be safe.

No, I dont think its nessecary at all. I didn't break my 3500+ in. i had it running high processor class stuff straight off.

Its a chip, and so shouldn't need breaking in :p

You'll end up doing a full re-install of windows (if you have XP) anyway since it won't work without that, and so, all the drivers and that will work perfectly with it straight away.

So no worries :)

As long as its cool, and stuff, no problems should occur. If it did start going funny after high CPU usage, you know somethings up :p

Um...

I let all my builds sit for ten mins to let the thermal grease settle in. Then a quick check on the temps. If all's ok then put the spurs to her.

Yeah...I don't think its like a shoe :p

I do understand where your coming from though :)

Yeah, what I meant was don't try to kill it until you know everything is working properly, not heat problems or nothing.

Yeah, you have a point in saying that. Though I think the question was more 'do i have to break it in' like you do with a car at first to help the engine.

I've personally never heard of breaking a chip in..but the idea is good to take care of your computer. I see you have love for it.

All on user preference..

Also the note about "Breaking in a car engine" Thats all hogwash..

I work on cars as a hobby. You know how we broke in an engine? Start it up.. let the gaskets seal. Tune it up.. Then Hammer on it. see what it's got..
Take a look at NHRA, After every race they tear the engine down, rebuild it.. No breakins there.

But there are people that will still say you have to ease the new car into breakin for awhile.. All personal preference.

I myself dont think you have to breakin the new CPU. But if it makes you feel better doing it. Then give it a go!

Back
Top Bottom