Brands and Suggestions

oIGhostRiderIo

Beta member
Alright, so you guys/girls have probably had this question a million times, so I'm just gonna take it to 1,000,001. I'm building my first PC and have done a lot of research on parts but am still lacking the courage to to set on specific parts and/or brands. The parts I have chosen so far, are as follows:

Intel Core i7 960 3.2 GHz
Asus Rampage III Extreme
Asus Geforce GTX 570 with Direct CUII Cooling
G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz (3x2GB) DDR3
Silverstone Strider Plus 850W
Samsung Blu-ray DVD Combo Drive
D-Link Xtreme N Wireless PCI-E Adapter
CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ CPU Cooler
Microsoft Sidewinder X6 Keyboard
Gigabyte GHOST M8000X Gaming Mouse
Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB (already purchased)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit SP1 OEM
Antec 900 Advanced Gaming Case (already purchased)

Obviously as you can now see, I'm trying to build a Mid-High End Gaming Rig.
Any suggestions towards the parts listing and also attaining to brand suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Ghost.

Your choices look great to be honest. The power supply is a bit overkill, but only just so, especially if you plan on going with SLI later.

I would hesitate to pair that system with a green rated hard drive, HOWEVER, that's just because I know how much faster the non-green hard drives are. If this is your first experience, it'll be fine, but know that if you feel like it feels like there could be something more to it, then upgrading to a faster platter based drive or SSD can really help out.

Also, why the i7 960? You can do so much better with the i7 2600 or even an i5-2500. You WOULD need to change the board out for an LGA1155 instead of 1366, and drop the RAM kit to a dual channel config (which is not a bad thing by the way). But I would get the i7 2600 instead of the 960 any day.

I own the heatsink you're looking at getting (hyper 212+) and it's a freaking tank. I love it muchly.

Thanks for the help OG. you've made this process so much easier and less stressful. Do you have any particular recommendations on brands, or am i on the right track?
Cheers.

Thanks for the help OG. you've made this process so much easier and less stressful. Do you have any particular recommendations on brands, or am i on the right track?
Cheers.

Nope, everything I said is pretty much what I feel - you're on the right track otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom